Dead Pi's

8 posts
by colbhaidh » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:14 pm
I am quite happily running my Raspi-pi (about 4 weeks now) but I am reading a lot of comments about raspberry pi's dying - should I be worried?
by gritz » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:57 pm
I think that a casual visitor to any product forum might assume that the product in question was liable to bursting into flames / eating the occupants of the house, etc! People tend to post issues and regarding the Pi, a lot of those issues are "out of the box" ones, or relate to peripherals and updates.

I would suggest that if you're using your Pi to do something useful then invest in a second SD card and back up your last known good setup onto it. :)
by jamesh » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:21 am
gritz is right - people only tend to post if they need help for something. So of the estimated 100k Raspi's out there, there are bound to be a few manufacturing defects etc, but it still means the percentage of failures is very low.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by jbeale » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:48 am
From reading the forums I expected my Pi to be full of trouble, but really it's been the opposite. Everything worked properly from the start, every USB device I've plugged into it has been recognized and worked (except a few glitches due to a loose USB connector on a bargain-bin USB hub). Only problem was one brand-new version of the firmware had a bug when I rpi-update'd it, but the following day it was patched and working OK again.

Not to say I've had no problems, but they were my own coding errors, so far the RPi has been very good. A new computer hasn't been this much fun since my first one (Apple II+ in 1980).
by 0117blocky » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:12 pm
I too was a bit concerned with all the issues being posted on the forum.
Power was the main one. But while I,m typing this cpu usage is quite high so I've just measured the voltage across TP1 and TP2 it reads 4.67 volts.
Without the power hub it would read 4.65 volts (Will read 4.73v with low cpu usage). I'm using a wall wart from farnell as is the mini keyboard and mouse. The data lead I use to power my RPI is an Amazon Basic usb to micro 6 feet long data link cable, not cheap but had good reviews.
The monitor I'm using is a sony SDM-S94 connected to the RPI by a 1meter HDMI cable with a DVI-D adaptor. The SD card is a Scandisk 8gb class 4.

The only issues I've had is changing the the overscan values to -40 still have
a small boarder around my screen, console text size changed to TerminusBold font size 28x14. System did hang when logging out of GUI fixed with update and upgrade. The SD card reader I had an issue the card was not in correctly (windows would not read the card) but re inserting the card it worked.

The advantage of using a data link as a power lead is I can pull the usb plug out from the wall wart end.

I would state that installing, booting and changing a couple of things on the RPI has been a lot less hassle than instaling Windows or Linux on a desktop
PC.

I would also like to thank the Raspberry Pi community for their hard work an effort put into this project.
by rpdom » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:29 pm
0117blocky wrote:The monitor I'm using is a sony SDM-S94 connected to the RPI by a 1meter HDMI cable with a DVI-D adaptor. The SD card is a Scandisk 8gb class 4.

The only issues I've had is changing the the overscan values to -40 still have a small boarder around my screen

Have you tried commenting out the overscan values and putting disable_overscan=1 ?

That worked on my Dell monitor with HDMI to DVI-D cable.
by 0117blocky » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:01 pm
No I havn't but will give it ago when I have time but thanks for the tip:)
by 0117blocky » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:34 pm
I just tried disable_overscan = 1 and it did not work, I ended up with large black boarders, so I reverted to the four overscan values and used -48 instead of 40.
But thanks again.