DHL Charges & "Remote areas"

10 posts
by rasbeer » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:34 am
There have been reports of high additional charges levied by DHL in various countries (eg Canada, Argentina, Croatia & Ecuador - feel free to add other examples if you know of them).

Some these seem to be "handling charges" relating to DHL paying customs duties in advance & then recovering them from the recipient. I suspect some national post services also do this - the UK Royal Mail certainly used to. So perhaps there's not much to be done about this kind of charge.

However, some may to relate to DHL's policy on 'remote areas'. I doubt many national postal services levy similar charges (which could be interpreted as discriminating against rural etc populations).

The ideal solution would be to encourage RS to offer delivery by ordinary postage. But until that option is available, here is a way to check if you're in a remote area and likely to be saddled with a large unexpected bill :mrgreen: when your Pi is delivered.
by Max » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:16 pm
My Pi was not charged as I am inside the EU.
But whenever I order something from far away, I usually ask that it is shipped by normal postal mail as well.
It then might actually arrive faster, as it spends less time at customs...

I suspect that the problem is that customs may be a little opportunistic and assumes that if it arrives by courier it must be worth much, and make sure it is always inspected and charged.

If it is sent by regular postal mail, is a small parcel and part of a truckload of other small parcels, they may assume that most of it may be worth less than the minimum value they charge for, and just let it through, without actually looking at the value declaration on the envelopes.
Larger packages do are charged, if they arrive through normal mail, and yes they have handling charges as well.

(as I have a business, I can reclaim the VAT if it is charged, so it is not like I am evading taxes.
Just trying to avoid the extra handling time & unnecessary charges)
by jpmurray » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:57 pm
I've been charged extras for taxes on my delivery in Canada.

Something like: 1$ and something for taxes on the Pi. 10$ administration fees. Then 50 cents taxes on the administration fees.

I was in such a fury... !
by ld13 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:13 pm
Mixed reports are also popping up on forums in South Africa about DHL trying to line their own pockets on this side of the waters. The reported 'extra/disbursement' fees range anywhere from 0 USD to ~12 USD all the way up to ~35 USD! And that excludes the added TAX we are all more than happy to pay.

Some people even went so far as to abandon their package at DHL as the fees are higher than the Pi itself!

These extra possible release/disbursement/etc fees are killing the excitement surrounding Pi as it ends up feeling more like we are playing a lottery with DHL than ordering our own piece of Pi. :(
by Salamander » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:15 pm
The solution is to stop ordering from RS. As far as I know they are the ones that send RPi's out via DHL, so the solution would be to order from Element14. That's what I've done. Hopefully that will encourage RS finding a better courier.
by rasbeer » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:25 pm
Salamander wrote:The solution is to stop ordering from RS. As far as I know they are the ones that send RPi's out via DHL, so the solution would be to order from Element14. That's what I've done. Hopefully that will encourage RS finding a better courier.

I'm not sure that's a good solution everywhere, ie if Farnell don't have a branch in your country, or if their price is high at your country's branch...
by rasbeer » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:26 pm
Another report of a huge DHL fee:
viewtopic.php?p=125141#p125141

260000 Indonesian Rupiah ($27) for collecting import taxes on a $35 product...
by Super5 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:05 am
maximum charges of DHL services on UK local shipment :roll:
Super 5
by bajan1 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:41 pm
DHL Barbados always charges huge markup fees - as a example on a small dutiable/taxable item (vat) amounting to just BD$3 they add on a "Government Processing Fee" of $10 then a "Handling Charge" of BD$44 plus VAT BD$8 then sum it up and add another VAT charge of BD$11 making a remarkable BD$65 ???? :evil:
by Pi to the face » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:44 pm
Any reports of these extra charges happening in the US?