Got an empty parcel - best way to contact Farnell?

8 posts
by allanrbo » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:16 pm
Got an empty padded envelope today. Looks like it wasn't sealed right and the Raspberry Pi has fallen out during shipping.

My local post office said to contact Farnell. Called Farnell in my country (Denmark), but they knew nothing about Raspberry Pi's, and said I should call Farnell in the UK. Called Farnell in the UK, and they told me that my only option was to send a mail to sales@farnell.com ...

Does anyone know of a more direct mail address to the department at Farnell handling Raspberry Pi's? I have a feeling that my mail to the very general sales@farnell.com is going to disappear among all the mails Farnell receive for "real" sales orders :-)
by grumpyoldgit » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:59 pm
I don't wish to sound unhelpful but have you never ordered something from a web site before?
You will have an online presence on the Farnell web site.
Log on.
Select "contact us" on the top right hand corner of the screen.
A page opens up with all sorts of options.
Select the one that seems most appropriate.
To my mind, "How do I report a problem" seems a good starting point.
by allanrbo » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:31 am
Thanks grumpyoldgit, but my question was more whether someone had a mail address to the department at Farnell dealing with the Raspberry Pi's. Maybe a raspberrypi@farnell.com or something (just guessing, haven't tried that address). The "Report a problem" form that you suggest, and the sales@farnell.com address are very general, and from what I understood from when of the guys i talked to on the phone, sale of Raspberry Pi is handled separately from Farnells normal business.
by secretreeve » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:42 pm
ring farnell uk

demand to speak to manager

get put through to manager who can deal with the raspberry Pi issues.

they are bound by distance selling regulations and other selling authories and MUST take your call. DO NOT be fobbed off with all this "email us only" stuff that companies are trying to get away with
by Lorian » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:05 pm
secretreeve wrote:they are bound by distance selling regulations and other selling authories and MUST take your call.

Which regulation is this?
by grumpyoldgit » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:08 pm
secretreeve wrote:ring farnell uk

they are bound by distance selling regulations and other selling authories and MUST take your call.

The next time I am put on hold for an hour by my ISP I will bear that in mind.
by nick.mccloud » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:21 pm
secretreeve wrote:ring farnell uk
demand to speak to manager
get put through to manager who can deal with the raspberry Pi issues.
they are bound by distance selling regulations and other selling authories and MUST take your call. DO NOT be fobbed off with all this "email us only" stuff that companies are trying to get away with

Not sure how DSR applies to non-UK transactions. Not sure I've seen anything in DSR that says they must take your call. They do have to respond to reasonable attempts to contact them in a reasonable timescale but the word reasonable is not defined as a particular amount of time as it is reviewed in hindsight in context if you are trying to enforce DSR.

And any approach that treats the supplier as a menace to society justly gets the response it deserves. It's not appropriate to go nuclear on everything. Unless you are paranoid. But then you can hear the voices already.
by Max » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:32 pm
Lorian wrote:
secretreeve wrote:they are bound by distance selling regulations and other selling authories and MUST take your call.

Which regulation is this?

Probably the EU e-commerce directive.
Webshops need to provide customers a physical address one can go to in case of complaints, an e-mail address and at least one other communication method.

Doesn't have to be a phone number though.
There was actually a German consumer organization that went all the way to court to force an online insurance company to put a phone number on their website, and they lost. :lol:
Court ruled the "contact form" on their website, was good enough as secondary communication method.