Farnell slight delay


49 posts   Page 2 of 2   1, 2
by jamesh » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:03 pm
nickorossa wrote:@James

You state "when expected sales for the year were < 50k"; then perhaps the failure is one of not researching the market properly. Personally I think those that were serious about the device and its intended purposes would have happily paid way up front before release; especially given the cost of the device.

Some of us are not annoyed at the fact we don't have devices in our hands, its the lack of communication, the misleading statements from certain individuals, some of us have been "called over" for daring to suggest that someone may be wrong even when quoting references.

If plans change it doesn't hurt to communicate them properly. Unfortunately the suppliers have in many cases slipped up on that. Plugwash is absolutely spot on in that respect. However where issues were raised some (including admins) took very defensive positions and kept banging the drum that was out of tune.

N.


Some people with 20:20 hindsight claim to have predicted massive sales, but that's pretty damn easy. The Foundation is made up of 7 unpaid volunteers. How do you propose researching the market with that sort of manpower? The Foundation, from the very start, said they wouldn't be taking preorders as they didn't believe in taking money before the product was ready. So they haven't and neither have the distributors. No money changes hand (or shouldn't baring mistakes) until product is ready to ship. Too many other companies have taken money and run.

And I'm not sure why people think there is such a lack of communication. I'd be hard pressed to find anything better from any other company or charity (yes, the Foundation is a charity) out there. Some people just expect too much, need to chill out, and be patient.

Admins/moderators will take defensive position. It's what they do. Are you likely to see an admin or mod slagging off the Foundation? No. Not sure why people would be surprised at that.
Unemployed software engineer currently specialising in camera drivers and frameworks, but can put mind to most embedded tasks. Got a job in N.Cambridge or surroundings? I'm interested!
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 11686
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm
by Crash2k1 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:55 am
mine was ordered on 3 Apr and i haven’t had any news apart from the mass one giving the screechy end of June date till i got the email about the 02/07/2012. i am getting a little peeved with it but at least we have a date now dose ant one know what the "unforeseen circumstances causing a delay in the supply chain" are and why it happened?

Gareth
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:45 am
by Minions » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:59 am
I've yet to get any emails other than my original order. I did however notice my estimated ship date went from June 28th -> July 5th. I ordered March 29th. Guess they are not going in sequential order.
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 2:48 am
by nickorossa » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:53 am
jamesh wrote:
nickorossa wrote:@James

You state "when expected sales for the year were < 50k"; then perhaps the failure is one of not researching the market properly. Personally I think those that were serious about the device and its intended purposes would have happily paid way up front before release; especially given the cost of the device.

Some of us are not annoyed at the fact we don't have devices in our hands, its the lack of communication, the misleading statements from certain individuals, some of us have been "called over" for daring to suggest that someone may be wrong even when quoting references.

If plans change it doesn't hurt to communicate them properly. Unfortunately the suppliers have in many cases slipped up on that. Plugwash is absolutely spot on in that respect. However where issues were raised some (including admins) took very defensive positions and kept banging the drum that was out of tune.

N.


Some people with 20:20 hindsight claim to have predicted massive sales, but that's pretty damn easy. The Foundation is made up of 7 unpaid volunteers. How do you propose researching the market with that sort of manpower? The Foundation, from the very start, said they wouldn't be taking preorders as they didn't believe in taking money before the product was ready. So they haven't and neither have the distributors. No money changes hand (or shouldn't baring mistakes) until product is ready to ship. Too many other companies have taken money and run.

And I'm not sure why people think there is such a lack of communication. I'd be hard pressed to find anything better from any other company or charity (yes, the Foundation is a charity) out there. Some people just expect too much, need to chill out, and be patient.

Admins/moderators will take defensive position. It's what they do. Are you likely to see an admin or mod slagging off the Foundation? No. Not sure why people would be surprised at that.


James,

I think you will find that not one single CPC customer had any form of communication from Farnell with respect to their order. Unless it was specifically asked for, even the back order numbers were not given out (that's how CPC's back order system works!). Unless the back order was chased, you will have had no communication; despite various statements made that were to the contrary! The only communication was through this web site and information with respect to CPC was most definitely inaccurate and when highlighted they were told they were wrong and everything was fine. The whole concept of first come first served has been proved to be wrong for many people and some posted information has not been corrected. People ordering well into March and some even April and getting devices (in some cases weeks as proven by a friend receiving theirs) before some who ordered in February. So far as CPC and Farnell/Element14 are concerned there is a massive disconnect.

It has nothing to do with 20/20 hindsight. The position your suggesting comes across as someone who lacked confidence in what they were productising. All businesses do some form of market research. isn't that part of what the forums are all about. There are a lot that could easily have been identified as serious contributors to the foundations aims and prioritised as such (I wouldn't put myself in that category although I was planning on doing some educational stuff).

There is a difference between taking a defensive position, and taking a defensive position when references to the contrary have been stated.

To be fair you've been one of the more "fair" ones in your replies and that is appreciated.

N.
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:42 pm
Location: Swindon, UK, Planet Earth.
by jamesh » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:56 am
nickorossa wrote:
jamesh wrote:
nickorossa wrote:@James

You state "when expected sales for the year were < 50k"; then perhaps the failure is one of not researching the market properly. Personally I think those that were serious about the device and its intended purposes would have happily paid way up front before release; especially given the cost of the device.

Some of us are not annoyed at the fact we don't have devices in our hands, its the lack of communication, the misleading statements from certain individuals, some of us have been "called over" for daring to suggest that someone may be wrong even when quoting references.

If plans change it doesn't hurt to communicate them properly. Unfortunately the suppliers have in many cases slipped up on that. Plugwash is absolutely spot on in that respect. However where issues were raised some (including admins) took very defensive positions and kept banging the drum that was out of tune.

N.


Some people with 20:20 hindsight claim to have predicted massive sales, but that's pretty damn easy. The Foundation is made up of 7 unpaid volunteers. How do you propose researching the market with that sort of manpower? The Foundation, from the very start, said they wouldn't be taking preorders as they didn't believe in taking money before the product was ready. So they haven't and neither have the distributors. No money changes hand (or shouldn't baring mistakes) until product is ready to ship. Too many other companies have taken money and run.

And I'm not sure why people think there is such a lack of communication. I'd be hard pressed to find anything better from any other company or charity (yes, the Foundation is a charity) out there. Some people just expect too much, need to chill out, and be patient.

Admins/moderators will take defensive position. It's what they do. Are you likely to see an admin or mod slagging off the Foundation? No. Not sure why people would be surprised at that.


James,

I think you will find that not one single CPC customer had any form of communication from Farnell with respect to their order. Unless it was specifically asked for, even the back order numbers were not given out (that's how CPC's back order system works!). Unless the back order was chased, you will have had no communication; despite various statements made that were to the contrary! The only communication was through this web site and information with respect to CPC was most definitely inaccurate and when highlighted they were told they were wrong and everything was fine. The whole concept of first come first served has been proved to be wrong for many people and some posted information has not been corrected. People ordering well into March and some even April and getting devices (in some cases weeks as proven by a friend receiving theirs) before some who ordered in February. So far as CPC and Farnell/Element14 are concerned there is a massive disconnect.

It has nothing to do with 20/20 hindsight. The position your suggesting comes across as someone who lacked confidence in what they were productising. All businesses do some form of market research. isn't that part of what the forums are all about. There are a lot that could easily have been identified as serious contributors to the foundations aims and prioritised as such (I wouldn't put myself in that category although I was planning on doing some educational stuff).

There is a difference between taking a defensive position, and taking a defensive position when references to the contrary have been stated.

To be fair you've been one of the more "fair" ones in your replies and that is appreciated.

N.


The Foundation had every confidence in what they were producing. you don't put you own house up at collateral if you don't have confidence. But confidence does not equal having a crystal ball to predict sales volumes. Not only was their limited money to do market research (and I'm sorry , but checking out what people are saying on a forum does NOT give you the magical ability to predict customer sales) but there was also limited money to build the initial batch. 10k was the maximum that could be built with the money available.

At to CPC, they are not connected to the Foundation except as a distributor, so if you have a problem with THEIR communications, I suggest you bring it up with them. The Foundation has provided all the communication they have been able to do, but they have NO view of what happens inside other companies.

So many armchair critics on this project, who have never brought out a product in their life and have absolutely no idea how difficult it is.
Unemployed software engineer currently specialising in camera drivers and frameworks, but can put mind to most embedded tasks. Got a job in N.Cambridge or surroundings? I'm interested!
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 11686
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm
by claire10 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:39 am
jamesh wrote:
ManicT wrote:I am certain this is going to annoy many of the fanboys and girls but it is a fact this project had high ideas but poor execution. Surely if it was to improve the quality of students entering our universities what was the use of sending the tiny amount of boards you did have all around the world. It seems the reviewers all managed to get hold of some too. Then there is the EBay choice if people want to spend £190 on one. It is a pity this was not passed onto someone who could actually manage the demand a lot earlier. Was there no indication that sales would be higher than you could ever possibly manage?
I got up like many of the other suckers in the country solely to crash the suppliers servers and make you all pat each other on the back to say how amazingly popular it is. I get idiotic reminders from the suppliers telling me how the next section of lucky people in the queue will shortly be invited to order their board.

This report you made no longer can be considered wrong

"Corrections and clarifications about some stuff you may have read in the press"
"Posted on February 10, 2012 by liz"

"I’ll quote from the Tom’s Hardware piece – before you have a heart attack, please be aware that what you’re about to read is COMPLETELY WRONG"


"What’s that? Will this little rig not be $25 or $35? Sounds like we may be shelling out a few extra Jacksons than originally thought."

"I’ll take these one by one."

"You will be able to buy a Raspberry Pi from the end of February, from this website." Despite signing up to the website and store no priority given to those members

"The model A will cost $25 and the model B will cost $35. These prices will not change (unless we can change them downwards)." Farnell want £29 ($45)

"We have no plans for preorders." Farnell took my order weeks ago and my debit card details

"Clear enough?" No not realy Q3 as stated in that article is when I have been advised by farnell I will get sent one everything in that article is true and the writer then deserves an apology.



I raise your load of old rubbish with the interesting information that 500k Raspberry Pi's are expected to be in buyers hands by the end of September. That's half a million. When you, Mr ManicT successfully ramp up productions volumes of a board you are trying to sell from 10k to half a million in 6 months (when expected sales for the year were < 50k), then I may give your post some credit, but until then, you really ought to shut up.

What you and people like you need to consider is that sometimes, plans change. They had to in the Foundations case because of the unexpectedly massive demand.


You can rest at ease he has to shut up ManicT was permanently banned for his post.
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:17 pm
by Beanz » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:27 am
Just got my Shipped email just as i'm sat preparing my SD card with my slightly custmised Punnet case printing off :)

Obviously the info last week stating it would ship wb beginning 2nd July was to cover their backs for those that didn't go before end of June.
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:44 pm
by Roalush » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:37 am
Beanz wrote:Just got my Shipped email just as i'm sat preparing my SD card with my slightly custmised Punnet case printing off :)

Obviously the info last week stating it would ship wb beginning 2nd July was to cover their backs for those that didn't go before end of June.

What is your ORP number?
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:31 am
by Beanz » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:53 am
Roalush wrote:What is your ORP number?

ORP012018 01-APR-12 19.16
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:44 pm
by Onescoop » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:03 pm
Beanz wrote:
Roalush wrote:What is your ORP number?

ORP012018 01-APR-12 19.16


I think I'm 4000 away from you. Got 02/07 email but no despatch yet.

Getting very excited now.
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:01 pm
by hippy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:53 pm
jamesh wrote:The Foundation had every confidence in what they were producing. you don't put you own house up at collateral if you don't have confidence. But confidence does not equal having a crystal ball to predict sales volumes. Not only was their limited money to do market research (and I'm sorry , but checking out what people are saying on a forum does NOT give you the magical ability to predict customer sales) but there was also limited money to build the initial batch. 10k was the maximum that could be built with the money available.

I wouldn't disagree with any of that, however, potential sales are an entirely separate issue to how many could be built in the first batches, and others did predict a level of potential sales far higher than the Foundation and were ultimately more correct in their predictions.

jamesh wrote:So many armchair critics on this project, who have never brought out a product in their life and have absolutely no idea how difficult it is.

Some of those being labelled 'armchair critics' have done precisely that, or been involved in such a process, and based their predictions on such experience.

I can accept the Foundation underestimated potential sales, can accept they could not achieve an accurate prediction of sales figures, but please let's not keep asserting that no one could have predicted the R-Pi would be the huge success it has turned out to be or only did so with hindsight.

Most will accept it's generally impossible to predict what actual sales figures will be and the solution to that is to have plans in place for different levels of sales. The Foundation stated its own sub-contracted production capacity as around 10K per month, 100K per year, and the problem seems to be that plans to deal with higher volumes and to better match supply with demand were only put in place at the 11th hour as it was launched. There was plenty of prediction of under supply and the Foundation seems to have taken that on board, just a little late in the day.

These things happen, are understandable even excusable, and nothing can be done about it now. I've given up caring that the Foundation underestimated sales, that was months ago and we've all moved on, but labelling those who did their best to help the Foundation as 'armchair critics' is somewhat unfair.
Posts: 774
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm
by RaTTuS » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:31 am
I also got this - and today I get
:-
your farnell element14 order has shipped
Farnell Ref No: 179054xx
Your Order number: ORPxxx 03-APR-12 07.52

...
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
User avatar
Posts: 5018
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 am
Location: North West UK
by Onescoop » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:29 am
I ordered on the 2nd - slightly worried I've been passed over now!
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:01 pm
by seanp25 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:36 pm
Ordered on 2nd April, got shipped confirmation just now :)
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:08 pm
by nicknml » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:00 pm
Ordered on March 13, supposed to be shipped by tomorrow, watch it get delayed yet again . . .
User avatar
Posts: 195
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:44 pm
by Roalush » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:23 pm
Ordered On May 16th, ORP392xx, just got an email from farnell that my order is to be shipped July 9th
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:31 am
by khurtwilliams » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:39 pm
Interesting challgneing I have getting my Raspberry Pi which I ordered from +Newark / element14 on March 12th, 2012.

I received an email update in April advising me that they had remove the promised ship date of May and that I find out more at their web site.

http://www.element14.com/community/grou ... 27th-april

I read that and I noted that while no firm ship dates were promised (my order is still listed as back ordered) they did make this one statement.

By early next week, all 110,000 customers who have ordered with element14 - wherever you are in the world - will receive a confirmed delivery date. As previously communicated, this will be no later than the end of June for those who ordered before April 18th.


So it’s June and I still have no confirmed ship date so I [url http://www.element14.com/community/grou ... ment-15193]contacted customer service via the web site[/url] and a rep responded that he would contact me via email.

This morning I received an email from customer service with one line:

You should expect your Raspberry PI early July.


Looking at a Gregorian calendar it occurs to me that July is definitely the month after June.

So I call customer service for a little chat. I wanted to understand why the posting from April 27th - which has never been updated - promises a June delivery but the email suggests otherwise.

After about fifteen minutes both the customer service rep and I have concluded that Newark / element14 has no idea when I might receive product. The rep was quite flippant about the whole affair but I maintained my patience. I quietly ended the call with the agreement that I would be publicly stating what occurred on Facebook, on Google+ and on Twitter.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/10845024047 ... UDm2JgeN3J
http://khurt.tumblr.com/post/2600949498 ... spberry-pi

Believe it or not, for me, being told that they have no firm ship date is better than being promised one and having the promise broken.

If you ordered a Raspberry Pi from Newark / element14 don’t expect one anytime soon. In fact, I predict I won’t get one at all. I plan on forgetting it even exists. Perhaps I’ll get it in time for my birthday in November.
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 2:18 pm
Location: Skillman, NJ
by apt-e » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:58 pm
Hi all,
Just got an email from Farnell, my PI is on its way from Leeds, I only live in York.

So the next batch are on there way.

Paul
York, England
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:57 pm
by PiRat » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:46 pm
a Long time, but the email has arrived :D

Your Raspberry Pi has now been shipped from our warehouse. :D

Just hope it will here in less than the 10 days they said to allow for delivery.

Don't know about you lot but in the time it has taken to get this far the parts i've got for it have already been pinched for other things, buy the little folk who's needs are always greater than mine. :evil:

Anyway happy days
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 11:37 am
by o9p0 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:55 am
Finally my waiting is over.

:D

Your Raspberry Pi has now been shipped from our warehouse.

Farnell Ref No: 17777***
Your Order number: ORP0056** 31-MAR-12 17.02
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:53 am
by nicknml » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:16 am
Well I woke up this morning. Status is now showing received.
User avatar
Posts: 195
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:44 pm
by zippity » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:45 pm
My Pi arrived today, along with the T-shirt! Now to order some peripherals...
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:02 pm
by judderman » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:33 am
I had the slight delay email, followed by the your Pi has been dispatched email - I thought they were going to contact us before dispatch. As I ordered on 1st April, I have moved house since then, but have been unable to tell them.

House has not been re-let yet, so have bought mechanic's inspection mirror to look through letter-box for red cards. Hope they will deliver to obviously empty house. Anyone got any experience of this?

Luckily, letting agency & I parted on good terms & they do forward mail, so I'm hoping they will retrieve the card for me.

Regards, Stewart
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:47 pm
by neuro » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:00 pm
I got the same "shipping week of 02/07/2012" email, but my raspi is sitting on my desk right now!

https://twitter.com/evilneuro/status/218669238104244227

shame the t-shirt is in regular-joe M size, rather than my preferred sysadmin size. I will probably ask about the office to see who would like it :)
I work for BRCM but my opinions are my own. They're MINE, I tell you!
User avatar
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 10:37 pm
Location: The Geekhaus