Still not got it...

25 posts
by dmarksbarber » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:50 pm
On: Wed, 23 May 2012, 08:51 AM

I ordered by Raspberry Pi, but i still haven't got it. I received the 'Allied Electronics & RS Components Order Confirmation' Email and it says 'Standard Delivery (Despatch expected within 3 week(s))' and a few other things.

But it has been over 3 weeks and i still haven't got it. Why is this?
by gasman » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:12 pm
Me too. Sent an email to RS. Got a standard reply saying they were running a few days late due to demand. They have had my money for the full three weeks though.
by SN » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:34 pm
You're not alone. . .
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?
by dmarksbarber » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:38 pm
gasman wrote:Me too. Sent an email to RS. Got a standard reply saying they were running a few days late due to demand. They have had my money for the full three weeks though.

What is the contact email for RS? All i could find was phone number.
by gasman » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:02 pm
I just replied to the order confirmation email.
by Borat » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:59 pm
RS seems to have been very slow. My order said it would be sent within 3 weeks, and it has taken fully three weeks (just notified that it has been sent). My order number was in the range 2582x.
by dmarksbarber » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:50 am
Hmmm so most of you think that it will be like an extra 3weeks? (I haven't even got the dispatched email yet)
by Borat » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:43 pm
I think that mine probably took a bit more than three weeks to be dispatched, so i would wait a few more days. I think i got the same emails as you did. Is your order number close to mine?
by MonkMayfair » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:38 pm
It's vaporware. I don't expect to ever see it.
by TimS » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:28 am
My constructive feedback for RS would be to simply provide some updates automaticaly to there customers after they miss the dispatch date with some idea of when they actualy expect to ship the product. They may find it's also consitructive to move to the industry standard of not taking payment until the consumer's goods are shipped given that they are hardly custome ordering these in with little chance of finding another buyer.
by dmarksbarber » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:16 am
Borat wrote:I think that mine probably took a bit more than three weeks to be dispatched, so i would wait a few more days. I think i got the same emails as you did. Is your order number close to mine?

No mine is '30183'
by jamesh » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:10 am
MonkMayfair wrote:It's vaporware. I don't expect to ever see it.

Asshatary.

Multi tens of thousands have already reached customers. We expect 500k by September.
Soon to be employed engineer - Hurrah! Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at PiAcademy September 2014.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by ScoobyDoo » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:55 pm
Borat wrote:RS seems to have been very slow. My order said it would be sent within 3 weeks, and it has taken fully three weeks (just notified that it has been sent). My order number was in the range 2582x.

Great my order number was in the range 2536x and i havent had a 'Its been shipped email' yet, so why that is when the range 2582x has been shipped who knows!!.. :?
by dmarksbarber » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:43 pm
jamesh wrote:
MonkMayfair wrote:It's vaporware. I don't expect to ever see it.

Asshatary.

Multi tens of thousands have already reached customers. We expect 500k by September.

Is there a way of getting someone to catch up with RS, and see how long they are delayed?
by dmarksbarber » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:45 am
UPDATE: I have just got my RaspberryPi - Its sooo small :3
by TankSlappa » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:00 pm
RS UK seem to be incredibly slow.

My initial registration was in the middle of March, and according to the email I received over the weekend, I will be able to actually order tomorrow... At which point there is a 9 week lead time before delivery!

Which, quite frankly, is ridiculous. I appreciate the demand was underestimated, but it shouldn't take that long to ramp up production. They could have taken the money from me in March, I wouldn't have minded, and I'm sure many others would have happily paid too, and then they could have had a super huge batch done by now with ease.

Luckily I also registered with Farnell, they took my order a couple of months ago, and IIRC, I should expect one before the end of this month (although I can't find an email confirming that, and I'm wondering if it was all a dream!).
by Montala » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:28 pm
More news coming from Mike at RS later today, according to Liz! :) (viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8762&p=103719#p103719)

This should be very interesting! ;)
by jamesh » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:34 pm
TankSlappa wrote:RS UK seem to be incredibly slow.

My initial registration was in the middle of March, and according to the email I received over the weekend, I will be able to actually order tomorrow... At which point there is a 9 week lead time before delivery!

Which, quite frankly, is ridiculous. I appreciate the demand was underestimated, but it shouldn't take that long to ramp up production. They could have taken the money from me in March, I wouldn't have minded, and I'm sure many others would have happily paid too, and then they could have had a super huge batch done by now with ease.

Luckily I also registered with Farnell, they took my order a couple of months ago, and IIRC, I should expect one before the end of this month (although I can't find an email confirming that, and I'm wondering if it was all a dream!).

Presumably you are very experienced in ramping up production volumes of devices like this, in order to make that comment?

Can you give me one good reason why RS or Farnell would not ramp up as fast as they were able to - they certainly have the money to order massive batches? Remember they are experienced in these matters. And want the income?
Soon to be employed engineer - Hurrah! Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at PiAcademy September 2014.
by igmelect » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:27 pm
Receive same email from RS
They want the money now, while delivery is expected in 9 weeks time
I asked WHY they want the payment such in advance from delivery date.

The answer: "The growth in delivery time is purely due to the incredibly high demand of the Raspberry Pis and once again all i can do is apologise for this"

This is simply ridiculous. Being so late in delivery due to high product demand does not legitimate
them to put our money in their pocket so early.
by nick.mccloud » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:58 am
igmelect wrote:This is simply ridiculous. Being so late in delivery due to high product demand does not legitimate
them to put our money in their pocket so early.

They aren't late, they just aren't delivering as fast as YOU would like.

By paying a relatively small amount up front will guarantee you a Pi - if RS & Farnell just made them on the say so of people saying that they want a few each they'd soon end up with another sort of disaster on their hands.
by TankSlappa » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:53 pm
If payment and commitment is the problem (I understand they don't want to be sitting on a stock of unsold Pis - although this is rather unlikely given the continuing demand), why didn't RS ask for my credit card details back in March when I registered interest?
I registered with Farnell at the same time, and although they didn't take my card details immediately, they did ask for them a few weeks later. Delivery now due from Farnell in the first two weeks of July.
If the 9 weeks lead quoted from RS is accurate, I'll be lucky to see it before September.

I understand the initial delay (CE approval and unexpected interest) but surely someone as big as RS should have got things up to speed by now. Although not ideal, Farnell look to be more up to speed, and will beat their deliver by over a month.
by jamesh » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:18 pm
PLEASE read the posts on this subject - there have certainly been enough of them. Ramping volume from 0-500k is a lot of effort, and cannot be done overnight. It not just manufacturing (although ramping to that level does require a lot of organisation, and possible extra factories) - there is getting all the parts which all need to be ordered up front and all have a delivery time.
by khurtwilliams » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:49 pm
jamesh wrote:PLEASE read the posts on this subject - there have certainly been enough of them. Ramping volume from 0-500k is a lot of effort, and cannot be done overnight. It not just manufacturing (although ramping to that level does require a lot of organisation, and possible extra factories) - there is getting all the parts which all need to be ordered up front and all have a delivery time.

And yet, Apple can sell and ship millions of iPad in a single weekend.
by jamesh » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:02 pm
khurtwilliams wrote:
jamesh wrote:PLEASE read the posts on this subject - there have certainly been enough of them. Ramping volume from 0-500k is a lot of effort, and cannot be done overnight. It not just manufacturing (although ramping to that level does require a lot of organisation, and possible extra factories) - there is getting all the parts which all need to be ordered up front and all have a delivery time.

Are you talking about the Apple that has $400 Billion in the bank? That Apple? The one who can afford to build millions of devices up front and know they have a huge market in which to sell them? That Apple?
by Roalush » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:13 pm
khurtwilliams wrote:

The only way to really increase production is to build new factories - and that costs a lot of money. Not worthwhile if you have only few months of excess demand