future availability

26 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by bbncomms » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:32 pm
I appreciate that there are many people out there still waiting for their Raspberry Pi to be delivered.

Looking @ things from a potential user's point of view however - when do you think that the Pi will be freely available from the likes of Farnell and RS? I would like have some sort of 'ballpark' figure here - if I decide to use this piece of excellent kit in the future when will I be able to purchase it without long delivery times etc?
by plugwash » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:38 pm
Afaict noone really knows when they will be readilly because afaict when taking registrations of interest and orders neither of the manufacturing/distribution partners asked customers how many they really wanted. So noone really has any clue what the pent-up demand for multiple units is.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by grumpyoldgit » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:43 pm
You're a little out of date. This is the current message on the Farnell site.

Registration for the Raspberry Pi has now closed. We will be opening up to general Raspberry Pi orders on Thursday 5th July.
Please come back then to purchase your Pi.

My understanding is that from 5th July, anyone ordering can expect delivery within four weeks. This has been widely discussed on here for a few days now.
by marinos » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:45 pm
I made 3 orders for the Raspberry.
One on RS, two (me and a friend) on Farnell and one at the farnell distributor of my country.
I placed all orders on March 1st
On June 22 the distributor told me to go and pick up my order from them.
Farnell informed me they shipped the two orders on June 29
RS didn't make it to ship it till now even though I paid on May 21st. After various promises like (next week, Monday, Tuesday etc) I am going to cancel the order if I don't get a shipment confirmation within the next 3 hours.
by bwoodbury » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:48 pm
According to the Element 14 website

Registration for the Raspberry Pi has now closed. We will be opening up to general Raspberry Pi orders on Thursday 5th July.
Please come back then to purchase your Pi.

I also see a post in general discussion that they had initially also stated "for deliveries in approximately 4 weeks" but that seems to have disappeared now

Edit - I see Grumpy beat me to it :)
by Joe Schmoe » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:58 pm
Has that been confirmed by anyone reliable (i.e., on the Foundation) ?

I thought that when that came up (a few days ago) it was quickly dismissed as the usual RS/Farnell mis-information.
Never answer the question you are asked. Rather, answer the question you wish you had been asked.

- Robert S. McNamara - quoted in "Fog of War" -
by plugwash » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:05 pm
bwoodbury wrote:Registration for the Raspberry Pi has now closed. We will be opening up to general Raspberry Pi orders on Thursday 5th July.

So they are about to open the floodgates, that is progress but until the gates have been open for a few weeks noone will know just how big a torrent of orders it will create and hence how long it will take to clear the new backlog.

I also see a post in general discussion that they had initially also stated "for deliveries in approximately 4 weeks" but that seems to have disappeared now.

I'd guess someone realised that by putting that up they were making a promise they couldn't be sure of keeping.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by itimpi » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:07 pm
I got an order for another Pi into Farnell today (you can by-pass the invite system if you know the Pi Farnell product code), and the order confirmation gave a delivery estimate of week commencing 2nd September so that is a little over 8 weeks. I am guessing that is why the statement of 4 weeks lead time was removed from the web site for orders placed from Thursday when Farnell open up orders.

My original Pi order (placed on 3rd March) got delivered a week ahead of the final revised date they quoted so I am hoping that the same happens to this new order. From what I have been seeing with orders from others the Farnell lead times seem on average to be slightly shorter than the RS ones although there are still anomalies surfacing.
by jamesh » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:46 pm
Incoming order rate is still pretty high (higher than expected - usually there would be a significant drop off over time but that's not really happened), so I'm thinking September time, but that my own personal estimate.
Soon to be employed engineer - Hurrah! Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at PiAcademy September 2014.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by bbncomms » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:42 am
So nobody really knows (which is what I guessed would be the case)
Farnell will not let you bypass 'the interest' page (today anyway) - or at least not with the number for the Pi they supplied me with. If however you use 'history' and refer to the original purchase they indicate a 64 day delivery time. - 9 weeks rather than the earlier suggested 4!

I guess all that we can do is wait and see what actually happens!
by Burngate » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:27 am
jamesh wrote:Incoming order rate is still pretty high

You are obviously more in the loop then us mortals. Also unable to divulge what you know. But it would be interesting to see a graph of order-rate versus time, from either or both of RS & E14
Wyszkowski's Second Law: Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough.
Brain surgery is easier than psychoanalysis
by berry_me » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:16 pm
Is there any word on the model "A" board? Is it still in the plans, and any idea when it may be available?

Looking to put in a nice volume order tomorrow. Too bad the "A" isn't available so I could fit more into the budget. Looking to use these for a HS class in the Fall.

Received a board from both RS and Element 14 one day apart. The RS board had much better packaging then Element 14. Probably will go with them for the volume order unless posters here suggest otherwise.
by leon_heller » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:25 pm
How was the Farnell/Element 14 board packaged? I agree that the RS packaging is pretty good.

It's the fith tomorrow. Let's see if the 4 week delivery is being offered by Farnell.
Leon Heller
G1HSM
by berry_me » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:16 pm
leon_heller wrote:How was the Farnell/Element 14 board packaged? I agree that the RS packaging is pretty good.

The Element 14 board came in an electro-static bag inside of a very thin cardboard box. This package was shipped in a bubble wrap type shipping envelope. If the package had ended up underneath a heavy package during shipping - easy to imaging that it could get damaged.

The RS board on the other hand came in a thick cardboard box in which the board was packed between dense foam. This was inside of a larger shipping box. Well done!
by Nr90 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:17 pm
Don't forget the additional cushioning from the protective T-shirt that came with the element14 one 8-)
At least for me
by bwoodbury » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:21 pm
berry_me wrote:
leon_heller wrote:How was the Farnell/Element 14 board packaged? I agree that the RS packaging is pretty good.

The Element 14 board came in an electro-static bag inside of a very thin cardboard box. This package was shipped in a bubble wrap type shipping envelope. If the package had ended up underneath a heavy package during shipping - easy to imaging that it could get damaged.

The RS board on the other hand came in a thick cardboard box in which the board was packed between dense foam. This was inside of a larger shipping box. Well done!

My Pis shipped to Canada from Element 14 and RS (Allied) were packaged exactly the same way. Luckily no Pis were injured :D
by bwoodbury » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:06 pm
July 5 and the Element 14 register interest link now says

"Registration for the Raspberry Pi has now closed. We are currently ensuring that the large number of customers who registered their interest over the last week have ample opportunity to order their Pi, and will be opening to general Raspberry Pi orders shortly."
by W. H. Heydt » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:18 pm
On the other hand... Allied (the US subsidiary of RS) now allows you to order more than one (I ordered 2), with a estimated delivery in 12 weeks.

I'll be keeping an eye on Element14/Farnell to see what they do...it sounds like they got a big surge of orders last week.

I suppose the real question is: Just how much demand is out there?
by Narf03 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:49 pm
The demand is unknown, its cheap and it's meant for students, who knows some schools already planed to order one for each student, or some companies uses this to replace their mainboard in their products like media player, NAS or special purpose device? These are beyond control, let's hope the production can keep up.
by W. H. Heydt » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:43 pm
Narf03 wrote:The demand is unknown, its cheap and it's meant for students, who knows some schools already planed to order one for each student, or some companies uses this to replace their mainboard in their products like media player, NAS or special purpose device? These are beyond control, let's hope the production can keep up.

Liz did say that they hooked some teachers up with Farnell last week to make (class sized?) orders. That may be the surge the Farnell site is referring to and--ultimately--why they've backed off letting people make other orders.
by beautifulsmall » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:29 pm
Farnells promise of direct orders on 5th has failed. The initial order surge should have sounded alarm bells. At work I have replaced a £350 spi flash programmer with a pi, My kids school uses a £400 pc to run Scratch. Most companies could replace a host of monitoring and data collection modules with these. We would buy 100. I know you cant ramp without a forcast but i hope you and BCM are ready for 1M by Q213. My only request would be for pi C would be an onboard spi boot NOR and a buzzer , connectors can be ficcle things.
The sap is rising.
by jamesh » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:50 am
beautifulsmall wrote:Farnells promise of direct orders on 5th has failed. The initial order surge should have sounded alarm bells. At work I have replaced a £350 spi flash programmer with a pi, My kids school uses a £400 pc to run Scratch. Most companies could replace a host of monitoring and data collection modules with these. We would buy 100. I know you cant ramp without a forcast but i hope you and BCM are ready for 1M by Q213. My only request would be for pi C would be an onboard spi boot NOR and a buzzer , connectors can be ficcle things.
The sap is rising.

I believe we are ready for that sort of demand - but there is a ramp that needs to be negotiated. Still going to be difficult, as you might expect with order levels running at 100x the original estimates.
Soon to be employed engineer - Hurrah! Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at PiAcademy September 2014.
by yeukhon » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:25 am
I'm getting really upset how I never had a chance to order one for myself while letting some bad one order mutiple and sell them on eBay at much higher pric. Can we please make one order per account and per address??? Also, I don't see how difficult it is to make more evey day if the demand is increasing. Just because foundation is not Apple inc, with this demand, any manufacturer should take this business...l mean the economy is bad that any manf will just do it.... If it mean to increase a few dollars, go ahead. We need o play fair. I registered my interest. But when i woke up this morning nothing was left.....
by jamesh » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:39 am
With regard to multiple order, that seem to be a premature announcement - I still don't think many will be able to buy in multiples.

As to the speed of ramp up - this is a complicated thing. It's not just manufacturing time (which takes time to organise)- you also need to factor in the time to get components, that may themselves need to be manufactured. For example, it takes between 16 and 22 WEEKS to put a new batch of chips through a chip foundry - you cannot just buy a million chips - they have to be made. Once you add all the timings like that in to the mix, you start to understand why you cannot ramp from 10k to 500k units overnight.
by bwoodbury » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:27 pm
And the latest from the Element 14 register your interest page says

Registration for the Raspberry Pi has now closed. We are currently ensuring that the large number of customers who registered their interest over the final few days of registration have sufficient opportunity to order their Pi, and will be opening to general Raspberry Pi orders mid July