RMA Problems with RS

34 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by FDP » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:18 pm
My Pi had to be RMA'd to RS. I sent it in to them in Sept. and have had no response from their support team since - sent two e-mails, haven't received a replacement.

Would really appreciate someone on the Pi team helping to expedite this. Over a month turnaround with zero communication is not what I would describe as stellar service. I want to like the Pi, but my experience has been pretty negative so far.
-FDP
by jamesh » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:34 pm
I'm afraid the mods here have no access to RS and the people who do (Liz mainly) are all out of action at the moment. And even if available, they cannot really bring up individual cases. The foundation members who deal with the distributors do bring up general points (like this) all the time.

Please don't the 'RS' experience (no, not a theme park ride, although it can get the adrenalin going, in all the wrong ways) put you off the product itself.
Soon to be employed engineer - Hurrah! Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at PiAcademy September 2014.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by FDP » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:08 am
Thanks Jamesh,
It's pretty hard to have a positive "Pi" experience when one's Pi fails and after spending ~25% of the initial purchase cost to RMA the thing it just disappears. The Pi foundation heavily promotes RS, and ultimately if their distributor is leaving the users out to dry they should be willing to do something to help. Unfortunately my opinion on the Pi is directly linked to my "RS" experience, and I am probably not alone.

It would help if there was an e-mail I could be pointed to so that I could at least contact a human being capable and willing to respond (RaspberryPi@rswww.com is a no-go).

-FDP
-FDP
by ghans » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:33 am
Call them. They can't ignore that.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by plugwash » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:56 am
ghans wrote:Call them. They can't ignore that.

Unfortunately reports from the forum are that they are refusing to handle anything related to orders through their Pi store by phone.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by ghans » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:10 pm
Well , that is .... unfortunate to say the least.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by c.cam108 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:06 pm
plugwash wrote:
ghans wrote:Call them. They can't ignore that.

Unfortunately reports from the forum are that they are refusing to handle anything related to orders through their Pi store by phone.

I called a number of times about my order and the answer to every question was "use the email address, we don't deal with the Raspberry Pi here". Even when I mentioned that my emails were going unanswered, they told me that I should use the email address to raise that concern! :roll:
by grub » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:15 pm
After waiting for more than 13 long weeks now (ordered from RS on July, 29, recieved on Oct. 30) I first was happy to get the 512MB version instead of the ordered 256MB. However, happyness turned into frustration since I did not get this device working reliable. Sometimes after some minutes, sometimes after one hour the system just hang. I tried everything, four different power supplies, different SD-cards, w/ and w/o keyboard, ethernet and mouse attached, different OS but without any success. So I finally decided to return this one to RS and ask for a replacement (and in parallel ordered another one from Farnell).
Instead of using the standard RS RMA return process (asking for RMA number, then sending the device to RS) I used the return form which I found on their homepage (see http://authenticate.rsdelivers.com/staticpages/pi/returns.aspx) and sent the device together with that form back to RS. The unit should already have arrived at RS, however, I have got no confirmation so far.

Has anybody some experience with this way of returning their RasPi to RS since this should be the default procedure according to RS?

Looking forward to getting my Raspberry Pi (either from Farnell or back from RS)
Grub
by Epicke » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:48 pm
At least, you got a Pi. According to the new shipping table i should receive mine in the next week, after waiting for more than 19! weeks. (Ordered on 3rd July) I'm wondering how that is possible...
by Mike@RS » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:04 pm
grub wrote:After waiting for more than 13 long weeks now (ordered from RS on July, 29, recieved on Oct. 30) I first was happy to get the 512MB version instead of the ordered 256MB. However, happyness turned into frustration since I did not get this device working reliable. Sometimes after some minutes, sometimes after one hour the system just hang. I tried everything, four different power supplies, different SD-cards, w/ and w/o keyboard, ethernet and mouse attached, different OS but without any success. So I finally decided to return this one to RS and ask for a replacement (and in parallel ordered another one from Farnell).
Instead of using the standard RS RMA return process (asking for RMA number, then sending the device to RS) I used the return form which I found on their homepage (see http://authenticate.rsdelivers.com/staticpages/pi/returns.aspx) and sent the device together with that form back to RS. The unit should already have arrived at RS, however, I have got no confirmation so far.

Has anybody some experience with this way of returning their RasPi to RS since this should be the default procedure according to RS?

Looking forward to getting my Raspberry Pi (either from Farnell or back from RS)
Grub

Hi - really sorry about the experience you've had. Can you send me your details via Private message and i'll get someone to look at this asap. I'm away next week but will make sure someone picks this up.
by Mike@RS » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:12 pm
Hi - i've made our returns and testing team aware of the issues raised on this thread. Hopefully we'll be able to provide you with an update next week on this.
by ps_bond » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:49 pm
Aww, isn't that nice of you Mike. Now, what will it take you to address your organisation's conduct in breaching the Distance Selling Regulations and the Sale of Goods Act?
Peter
by paultnl » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:50 pm
You beat me to that comment about the DSR. I think it is about time that Trading Standards took an interest. With so many complaints about RS I think they should stop selling the Pi until they have their act together.
I don't like Russian dolls, they are so full of themselves
by ps_bond » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:24 pm
Unfortunately, it does need people to actively complain to TS to get any action - the more people who lodge formal complaints (it's really easy, there are online forms which don't take all that long), the more likely they are to bring prosecutions.

(BTW - for those who are left feeling I'm flogging a dead horse; my apologies. RS took my money without shipping any goods, they've still not returned it despite cancelling about 2 months ago and they haven't responded to my emails of about a month ago on the subject. Whether that constitutes theft or "merely" fraud...?)
Peter
by paultnl » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:30 pm
ps_bond raise a chargeback with your bank or credit card. Once a number of those start hitting RS will sit up and take notice as they can loose their ability to take card payments.
I don't like Russian dolls, they are so full of themselves
by ps_bond » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:28 am
Thanks Paul - that is also underway, but it shouldn't be needed. I had to spend far too long on the phone to a call centre, explaining and re-explaining the situation; now I'm going to be lumbered with a bunch of paperwork. In all honesty, I'm still tempted to bin the chargeback route and fill in the paperwork for a Small Claims Court application instead. I feel that hits harder than a chargeback :)
Peter
by grub » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:31 pm
Mike@RS wrote:Hi - i've made our returns and testing team aware of the issues raised on this thread. Hopefully we'll be able to provide you with an update next week on this.

Coming home from work I looked forward to enjoy the leisure-time. But this immediately changed when I opened the post box and discovered a delivery from RS. This must be the returned RasPi – and indeed it was. I immediately unpacked it and tested whether this device might have the same fault like the one I had returned. But everything was fine now. It worked stable at least for a couple of hours.

RMA process in total took ~10 days from and back to Germany, which is OK and no reason for complaints. For this and for his personal involvement special thanks to Mike@RS. I hope that all other guys waiting for their RasPi are served in the same way now.

Grub
by scep » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:07 am
grub wrote:I hope that all other guys waiting for their RasPi are served in the same way now.
Us too! Glad you got your Pi back and thanks for the feedback.
by snomis » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:01 pm
Can someone give me details of which trading standards office to contact?

I placed my order 20 June, eventually received it 11 October and the Pi was damaged. I returned it and it was back at RS 17 October - Since then nothing. Contacted RS, 'I will investigate' they said but still no replacement and that the only reply I got back, no further replies to my emails.

Had enough now so i think TS is the next step - could I even use the chargeback from my bank as try to get a refund is just as bad it seems??
by ps_bond » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:58 am
Well, you can either use the one local to you or go through the Northants council one which bounces you to Citizens' Advice first - http://www.northamptonshire.gov.uk/en/c ... umers.aspx

CA will read the complaint and subsequently bounce it to TS for investigation if they think it warrants it.

I would go for the chargeback route as well, TS won't be acting directly for you so won't be likely to get your money back for you (IME).

As I mentioned in another thread, I did have some contact from RS on 13/11 - I've told them that because of the legal situation I want all correspondence in writing. Other than that being acknowledged, that's the last I've heard.
Peter
by FDP » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:43 pm
Just an update. RS got in touch via email a little bit after the initial post and promised that I would receive my replacement Pi by the 20th of November at the latest. When my Pi did not show up by the 20th I got in contact again via the useless e-mail address and have not yet received a response.

Before posting this I also tried to reach out directly and politely to Pete Wood at RS via a facebook message. That was four days ago, he hasn't responded. I don't see the point of being courteous to RS any longer, they clearly have terrible customer service and are inept at handling orders and returns.

I have had a great deal of my time wasted by RS, and I don't think that the Raspberry Pi foundation is exempt from responsibility in this situation. It is ultimately the foundation's duty to monitor the quality and performance of the distributor.

Instead of posting glowing blog posts about RS on the main page, perhaps the foundation should make a bit more of an effort at ensuring that enthusiastic Pi customers aren't left completely out to dry. I am clearly not alone, this problem should be treated with some modicum of respect by the Pi foundation and not just brushed off as purely an RS issue. Clearly RS doesn't care.

At this point I would warn anyone considering purchasing a Pi or any other components from RS to look elsewhere. Element 14 has a good reputation and I have received prompt service from them in the past on other orders. I had hoped to develop for the Pi, as I like the social goals of the foundation, however I have trouble justifying wasting any more of my time trying to receive a working unit.
-FDP
by snomis » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:00 am
RS had my faulty Pi back on 17 October whichh had been order from 20 June.

They said a replacement was sent out, it never arrived. They said they sent another one this time by DHL Express guess what it never arrived - more like never sent out. And then the responses to emails stop even from their 'Process Excellence' guy. Process Excellence! :lol:

So now it's time for a refund, I guess that will be the same trouble as trying to get the order - which I don't have either.

Just hope I can conclude this soon so I can forget about this annoying situation and anything to do with Pi
by VeldMuijz » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:16 pm
FDP wrote:My Pi had to be RMA'd to RS. I sent it in to them in Sept. and have had no response from their support team since - sent two e-mails, haven't received a replacement.
(..)Over a month turnaround with zero communication is not what I would describe as stellar service.

I too had to sent it back. Mine had a broken sdcard slot. I did send it back and didn't receive any communication for two weeks, then I e-mailed them, got a reply back after two weeks saying:

"We apologise for the delay in replying to your emails, and have forwarded this onto the relevant department to investigate. Once we have received a reply from them we will be back in contact with you."

After 8 days still no communication, but I did get the pi in last night.

My feedback is: I do not like the service, although you did send me the pi and one email I was so afraid that it was forgotten or that I was not getting a replacement at all.
Please make sure you can email your customers faster.
by z0mb13e » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:13 am
I sent my faulty RaspberryPi back to RS on the 21st October and am still waiting to hear what is going on. I've sent several emails (about one a week) to RaspberryPi@rswww.com to see if I can get a status update, but so far I've just seen two automated replies.

Has anyone made any progress getting in touch with them?
by dobla » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:17 am
I had to RMA an defective Pi also.

But unlike others i did not have unsolveable problems.
It did take some time, but Mike and the RS support did their best to replace the defective Pi.
Now my replacement Pi is working like it should.

I believe that there are to many RMAs and Mails asking about delivery time to handle them all.
Even if RMA rate is below 1% this would be many RMAs and E-Mails.