Any signs of life from Allied Electronics?

49 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by DuncanKennedy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:09 am
Sorry everyone.

I expect every one is getting tired of these 'where is my Pi' posts, but please bear with me.

I'm looking to hear from people who either ordered or pre-ordered a Pi from Allied Electronics (North America) and have actually received their Pi.

I have received nothing but 'we have your order, we'll tell you when it's ready' notes from AE since I ordered on March 5th. I'm looking for some reassurance that they've actually started shipping.
Duncan
The mind is an infinite resource, provided you don't waste it!
by nick.mccloud » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:20 am
If you hang out here more often you see countless posts from people receiving their Pi states side from Allied. You'll also find people that don't live next door to DHL complaining about the poor delivery when DHL have to drive to their door.
by DuncanKennedy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:59 pm
Hi Nick

I'm read this forum twice a day, and have since I first heard about the Pi, which was quite a while before I actually signed up for the site. My initial question was caused by not seeing 'numerous' posts referencing delivery from Allied.

May I assume that you're one of those who ordered from Allied and have actually received their Pi (which was the original question)
Duncan
by bwoodbury » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:37 pm
I managed to submit a pre-order to Allied on March 3 but still showing on my account as back ordered. I have received various emails from them (latest was May 15) but they have ever indicated an estimated shipping date, so I can't complain that they are late :) I won't be complaining to them unless I haven't received my Pi by the end of June :?

I too read this forum every day (and searched it just now) and see very few posts saying folks received their Pi from Allied. I think most in North America that have received from Allied probably refer to RS as the supplier.
by bwoodbury » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:14 pm
I Just received the following email from Allied

Good news! Your preorder will soon be filled and on its way! We will receive our first shipment of Raspberry Pis in the coming weeks. Once the shipment is received, we will immediately begin filling preorders in the order they were placed.
This shipment will be enough to provide each customer who placed a preorder with one device. If you placed a preorder for more than one Raspberry Pi, you will only receive one device initially. Any additional quantities will remain on backorder until another shipment of Raspberry Pis arrives.
If you have any questions or concerns about your preorder, please contact Allied Customer Service at (866) 433-5722.
We'll be in touch as soon as your preorder is filled and on its way.
Thank you!
Allied Electronics

Am I reading that first line correctly - We will receive our FIRST shipment of Raspberry Pis in the coming weeks - you have GOT to be kidding :evil: I pre-ordered mine Mar 3
by DuncanKennedy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:23 pm
I guess there really WAS a reason I hadn't seen any notes about Allied deliveries :-)

Nice to see there is no information on actual timing either!
Duncan
by bwoodbury » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:13 pm
nick.mccloud wrote:If you hang out here more often you see countless posts from people receiving their Pi states side from Allied. You'll also find people that don't live next door to DHL complaining about the poor delivery when DHL have to drive to their door.

Given yesterday's email from Allied stating that they will be receiving their FIRST Pi's in the coming weeks I guess the first part of the above post isn't quite correct. I also note a resounding silence from Mike at RS in response to my comment about Allied's email on the Order and Shipping Update from RS & Allied thread
by fishy0689 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:22 pm
I'm located in Canada, and got my tracking number yesterday for an order number in the 33,4xx range.

It circled the UK a few times heading back to heathrow, but I presume it's on its way now.
by bwoodbury » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:56 pm
My Allied order number in Canada Mar 3 is 250007XXXX. The 5 digit number referenced by Fishy sounds more like an RS number
by bwoodbury » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:09 pm
And when I asked Allied Customer Service whether they have ever in fact received any Pi's from RS or not I received this nice, not so helpful, response.

Hi Bruce, I’m afraid the only information I have on the Raspberry Pi is what they send to you. I know the demand far surpassed anything that the manufacturer had expected and leadtimes were stretched out but you will need to go with whatever updates they are sending you. Thanks, Karen
by DuncanKennedy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:51 pm
Wow, that really cleared things up for me!

:-)
Duncan
by DuncanKennedy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:55 pm
I have to admit that I am curious as to why they haven't been receiving their share of Pi shipments all along. I thought that dealing with one part of the company was supposed to be the same as dealing with any other.

I'm wondering if their seeming lack of concern is related to the low margins they have on distributing the RPi.
Duncan
by bwoodbury » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:11 pm
I emailed the Allied Customer Service rep in Ottawa Canada again yesterday after receiving her first reply above and received the following

"Hi Bruce, I’m not really sure where the raspberry Pi situation is. I only get the same info you do. I don’t know if they have been coming in and out slowly and this is a new batch. Sorry I’m not much help. All Raspberry Pi orders have been placed online by customer and don’t come through us at all."

I sent my first inquiry to Allied's Head Office in Fort Worth Texas but it appears that neither office knows, or can't say, what's happening.

I think the most recent post from Mike@RS is all the illumination we are going to get "Hi - Allied are recieving a batch of Raspberry Pi's this week to cover all pre-orders placed. The email you recieved was to ensure you know it won't be much longer to wait."

In summary it appears that Allied, at least in Canada, has never received any Pis but they will this week and will start working on their backlog. It would have been nice if either Allied or RS had informed their North America customers that something obviously went wrong and they were correcting the problem.
by DuncanKennedy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:08 pm
Considering that it's essentially only the two of us posting in this forum, whether we're the only two people dumb enough to order through Allied??

:-}
Duncan
by bwoodbury » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:46 am
:lol: So all Allied may only need 2 Pis to cover their initial pre-orders :lol:
by lesliew » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:11 pm
bwoodbury wrote::lol: So all Allied may only need 2 Pis to cover their initial pre-orders :lol:

Well 3 actually, maybe

What I mean is I placed an expression of interest with Allied.com on Feb 29th, I had a generic email about the Pi at the end of March but no other updates since then. I contacted Allied a few weeks back asking why I hadn't received a pre-order invite, to be honest whilst they were extremely helpful in that they took the time to follow it up I get the impression that they really have no more information than we do, perhaps less! I was in email contact with Toni out of their Orlando office and she did seek to find out some information from head office but I think even that came back as a blank.

Last communication was that due to unprecedented demand they were fulfilling orders in order, which we all know is not really true, well actually it depends on where you live.
by DuncanKennedy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:09 pm
I have an expression of interest in with Allied as well, dated from probably March 3/4 (deleted the original confirmation note). The last eMail I had from them was on May 5th, but didn't contain any relevant information. I'm assuming that we'll have to wait while they work on the pre-order backlog before they'll start processing the expressions of interest.

Glad (or sad depending on your point of view) to see that there's one more person in the same predicament - misery loves company :-}
Duncan
by bwoodbury » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:18 pm
Received an email from Allied - My order has been shipped :D :D

No price stated yet for shipping and handling. Shipping is via UPS from Louisville, KY and has already arrived in Seattle
by bwoodbury » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:34 pm
And now the bad news. Finally found a copy of my updated invoice on Allied's website. My credit card hasn't been charged for this yet but

Subtotal: $36.23
Handling: $0.00
Tax: $14.68
Shipping: $86.10
Amount Due(CAD): $137.01 :evil:

Looks like I will be chatting with Allied again :(
by bwoodbury » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:18 pm
The Allied Customer Service Rep in Ottawa has responded to my inquiry already :) and will adjust my shipping charge down to $19.00

Hi there, always good news/bad news,eh?! Looks like you selected UPS Standard when you entered your order originally. If you had let it default to UPS Worldwide Saver which automatically comes up your charge would have been $19. I will get that credited down to the correct $19 charge for you. Next time you enter an order please select UPS Worldwide Saver. Cheapest rate that way. It will take about a week or so for that credit to show up on your card. Thanks Bruce, have a good day. Karen
Karen Liersch | Allied Electronics
Customer Account Representative
Ottawa-Canada Sales Office (15038)

I did let her know that at the time I ordered on March 3 their website did not give me a choice in shipping method. A big thank you to Karen at Allied :D Although she, as most customer service reps from all the distributors, is kept pretty much in the dark, she has been very quick and helpful is responding to my various inquiries.
by euxneks » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:05 pm
I just got my RaspPi from Allied Electronics down in Texas. :) Now I need to find a micro USB power adapter!
by DuncanKennedy » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:14 pm
Mine shipped today (ordered on the night of 5/6 March) so they seem to be working through the backlog fairly quickly.

Still no word on expressions of interest though. Anyone hear anything about invitations to order from Allied?
Duncan
by bwoodbury » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:37 pm
My pre-order from March 3 is in transit and should arrive today or Monday but I just received the following email from Allied

Hello
You can now order your Raspberry Pi!
Thank you for registering your interest in the Raspberry Pi. We'd like to invite you to order yours today.

If you have any questions or need assistance, please call Allied Customer Service at (866) 433-5722.
Thank you!
Allied Electronics

Evidently I must have submitted an expression of interest in early March in addition to placing my pre-order. I might as well take them up on the offer and give it to my son as he's in to projects using linux. Will be interesting to see how fast this order gets filled :)
by DuncanKennedy » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:28 pm
Received the same note a d placed a second order as well. 11-14 weeks delivery time.
Duncan
by raspberryyyz » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:59 pm
I'm located in Canada.

Expressed interest on the Allied site back in February. Got an invite last week to order and purchased two. Did not order any accessories. Site said they were 8-10 weeks back ordered, but a package shipped out the next day.

I requested USPS ground shipping (USPS has the lowest cross-border fees), and Allied switched it to UPS Worldwide Saver without asking (not an issue if the cost is only $19 as per note above). Invoice total still shows as pending and CC has not been charged.

Package shipped from Kentucky on the 29th and was listed as out for delivery this morning. Hopefully all works out - experience has been pretty seamless so far!