Raspberry Jam in Cambridge on 14th July

98 posts   Page 1 of 4   1, 2, 3, 4
by jabela » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:14 pm
This event is actually at the spiritual home of the Raspberry Pi at the Cambridge University Computer Laboratory on 14th July from 1.30pm after the hands on workshop, we'll be doing a #Teachmeet so that teachers can find out more about the Raspberry Pi.

Free tickets are available at: http://raspberrycambridge.eventbrite.com/
More details on Teachmeet at: http://teachmeet.pbworks.com/w/page/54166404/TMEastCambridge

I hope as many of you as possible can join us, that we can ensure that the Raspberry Pi lives up to its original purpose of inspiring the next generation!

James Abela
Cambridge Jam Organiser, Cambridge
by liz » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:31 pm
Eben and I will also be coming along to this (and I hope some of the other developers will also be able to make it) - it's free, so please drop by if you'd like to come and say hi and play with a Raspi!
--
Head of Comms, Raspberry Pi Foundation
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
by Gert van Loo » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:45 pm
I plan to be there to show:
- Gertboard Rev3 demo.
- An Alpha board (not working)
- A Micro stick (not working)
- Wafer with BCM2835 on it.
- Some BCM2835 chips + PoP packages
- 14 MP Camera.
- Anything else I can think of.

-- Gert
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by liz » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:45 am
I notice that Alex Bradbury (asb on the forums) has also signed up - he's another one of the Raspi developers, who works on the official Debian image (and a whole load of other stuff besides).
--
by jamesh » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:00 pm
I'd be happy to pop along as long as I've not been posted off to warmer/colder climes for work. I've got a whole box of demo stuff (wafers etc) that I can bring along and pretend to know about.
Soon to be employed engineer - Hurrah! Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at PiAcademy September 2014.
by liz » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:04 pm
Brilliant - it'll be good to see you! You'll have to sign up at http://raspberrycambridge.eventbrite.co.uk/?ebtv=C so t'other James can keep track of the numbers.
--
by PiRat » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:12 pm
This is following the normal Raspberry theme, announced and then sold out by the time you get home from work. :cry:

It's bad enough having to wait months to get my hands on one, I cant even get to an event to see one in the flesh. Sorry about the moan but have just spent the day trying to test software to fluffy requirements :evil:
by liz » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:17 pm
They're not sold out; they're releasing them in batches (the ticketing website says so in big shiny letters, and also says they're releasing a new batch tomorrow, on the 14th June).

When we've taught everyone to code, we're going to have a go at improving the nation's reading comprehension too.
--
by PiRat » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:52 pm
I do apologise Liz but the release in batches was off the lower part of the screen, due to the nature of new laptops which are widescreen for watching films etc so you cam miss something that is lower down the page and off the screen. But the page I went to after filling in the details did say they were trying to a bigger venue as the 30 places were gone! But I did not see a mention a further release of tickets on that page but again I could be wrong.
But I have been having a bad day work wise like I said, but I have noticed that a friendly word works much better than “When we've taught everyone to code, we're going to have a go at improving the nation's reading comprehension too” What happed to the carrot is better than the stick!
Liz do you understand what it feels like with all the hype and having to wait for months, I think I will leave the forum until the Pi arrives.
By for now.
by liz » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:56 pm
Cheerio.
--
by AndrewS » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:50 pm
:roll:
It's always puzzled me the way people write big rants on forums and then sign off with "I'm leaving and not coming back". Um, thanks! :|

P.S. In other news I've already joined the Rpi Cam Jam waiting list :)
by SN » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:01 pm
Me too. It's a bit of a drag from oop north but thought it would be good to meet some peeps :D
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?
by Montala » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:03 pm
I have just added my name to the 'waitlist', so will keep my fingers crossed! :)
by jabela » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:56 am
I am so pleased to see so many people want to attend the event. Please keep checking back on the site as we release more tickets.

James
by jamesh » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:08 am
Just got my ticket so I'll be there. Will bring along some semiconductor stuff for people to look at and admire it's shininess.
Soon to be employed engineer - Hurrah! Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at PiAcademy September 2014.
by AndrewS » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:21 am
jamesh wrote:Just got my ticket so I'll be there. Will bring along some semiconductor stuff for people to look at and admire it's shininess.

Will you be modelling your finger again? ;)
by jamesh » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:23 am
Only my finger is attending. Rest of me has work to do.
by AndrewS » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:42 am
I hope losing a finger doesn't slow down your typing too much.
by jamesh » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:05 pm
Halves it.
by AndrewS » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:17 pm
LOL :D sudo apt-get install gtypist

To bring this thread back On-Topic, I just printed out my RasCamJam ticket :)
by PiRat » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:20 pm
To Quote AndrewS

"It's always puzzled me the way people write big rants on forums and then sign off with "I'm leaving and not coming back". Um, thanks! "

And using Liz's reply

"we're going to have a go at improving the nation's reading comprehension too."

Andrew you might have not noticed that I did explain why I had missed that fact in the first place and I did in fact apologise to Liz and point out that I had had a bad day work wise. And you jumped to fast to moan and did not fully read the post as I never said that I was not coming back. I did say I was going to wait until the Pi had arrived. So you are as guilty as me it would seem.

Why do we seem to take things too personal, sometime we do rant and moan? But is it not charitable to turn the other cheek and point folks in the right direction. This I believe should be the way to go.
I’m still looking forward to the Pi arriving, even taking in to account that Farnell have just sent me an email to say that my confirmed delivery date of before the end of June is now i quote Farnell “I have looked into this and the delivery is due end of Aug / early Sept “

So the wait goes on.

Sorry about the long post but i just felt i needed to put things straight.
by Montala » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:43 pm
Coming back to the Cambridge Jam again, I know that the possibility of moving the event to a larger venue was being talked about, and wondered if this was still 'on the cards', or if indeed it had possibly already happened?

If it hasn't, and there is still a chance that it might be (if you follow me!) is there still a chance that those folk (like myself) who have expressed an interest in attending might be lucky after all... or have all possible places already been allocated?

It does look like being a really interesting day, and one in which I would really love to be involved.

Thanks! :)
by jabela » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:57 pm
Please allow me to update. NOT all available capacity has been used yet, The ticketbrite system releases tickets in batches and more tickets will be released over the next few days.

I am in the process of checking if the largest venue is available to do this and if that gets full too, I am arranging for live Streaming. We have a team of Google CTs and the legendary Leon Cych to help us with getting this online live. I know its not the same, but at least people will get a chance to tune in.

Thank you for your patience, we are a team of volunteers doing this and so we have to work around people's schedules.

James
by Montala » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:15 pm
Thanks for the update James, and I hope that my last post didn't come over as a criticism, as I know that events like this just don't 'happen' and that a tremendous amount of work goes on 'behind the scenes' as it were, in getting everything organised.

Again, I am not familiar with the 'ticketbrite' system, but am I right in thinking that once I have 'registered an interest' as it were, and am on the 'waitlist', I don't actually have to do anything when the next batch is released... or do I?

It will certainly be an event worth attending, I think!
by jabela » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:20 pm
Yes, if you are on the Wait List you will automatically be given an opportunity to attend as the tickets are released.