Raspberry Jam in Cambridge on 14th July

98 posts   Page 3 of 4   1, 2, 3, 4
by jabela » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:11 am
If you are on the waiting list, the good news is that not all the tickets have been allocated just yet. We're checking to make sure VIPs have not been double-ticketed.

Also this weekend, I will make an announcement for those of you who are really keen to participate, but haven't managed to get a ticket. We're going to be looking for people who can be there for 11.30 am to help us at the event itself. I can't promise you will get a great view of the event itself, but you will have back stage access and you'll be able to say to your grand children that you were there when the Raspberry Pi changed computing education for good...
by Burngate » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:16 am
Montala wrote:P.S. I am also looking forward to meeting all the famous people who have said that they will be attending!

Does anyone know the protocol?
If Liz approaches me, do I shake her hand, bow, kiss her on both cheeks, or prostrate myself on the floor?
And do we call her Your Majesty, or merely Ma'am?
And if it's raining, should I bring a cape for any puddles in the car park?
Wyszkowski's Second Law: Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough.
Brain surgery is easier than psychoanalysis
by Montala » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:44 am
Burngate wrote:Does anyone know the protocol?
If Liz approaches me, do I shake her hand, bow, kiss her on both cheeks, or prostrate myself on the floor?
And do we call her Your Majesty, or merely Ma'am?
And if it's raining, should I bring a cape for any puddles in the car park?

If Liz should just happen to approach me then I would go for your third option, as that is how I tend to greet any attractive lady these days... at the worst I will get my face slapped! ;)
by liz » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:57 pm
Cough - no comment. 8-)

Montala: that bus is actually quite nice, as buses go (it has WiFi!), but the trip from MK does take bloody ages - 2 hours or so, iirc. Do not be tempted to get out for a sandwich or similar at Bedford bus station, which is simply the worst place in the whole of the UK.

James A: out of interest, how many people are coming?
--
Head of Comms, Raspberry Pi Foundation
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
by ukscone » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:01 pm
Burngate wrote:merely Ma'am?

remember it's ma'am as in spam
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by jabela » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:39 pm
> How many people are coming?

This is the biggest jam so far and I have secured the largest lecture theatre possible. We should have about 200 people coming and I'd like to thank Cambridge University for very kindly giving us this amazing venue. We are now beginning to filter through tickets now to release every ticket possible.

Please can I stress that if you can not come for any reason. Please release your ticket back into the pool, I'd hate for people not to have a place, because others have cancelled and not released their ticket.

James
by Gert van Loo » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:25 pm
I am in luck.
We have a big recruitment evening tomorrow at Broadcom and I am planning to show the Raspberry-Pi there.
Which means I could task our intern with making a nice Plexiglas display with some BCM2835 bare chips + PoP memories on it.
Guess where I will be re-using that.... :lol:
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by Montala » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:52 pm
liz wrote:Montala: that bus is actually quite nice, as buses go (it has WiFi!), but the trip from MK does take bloody ages - 2 hours or so, iirc. Do not be tempted to get out for a sandwich or similar at Bedford bus station, which is simply the worst place in the whole of the UK.

Thanks Liz, but I think that the long bus ride (which I get for free anyway!) is still preferable to travelling down to London by train, and then back out again, up to Cambridge.

I have noted your comments about Bedford, but was wondering if there are any pubs (or other eating places) close to the Madingly Road Park & Ride, or the venue, where I could grab a quick bite to eat before coming on to the Jam?
by liz » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:25 pm
Not much at all near the lab. Your best bet is carrying on up Madingley Road until you hit the junction with Queen's Road and Northampton St. (10 minutes' walk.) About 100 yards to your left on Northampton St is The Punter, which is a VERY nice pub - excellent food, real ales.
--
by Montala » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:08 pm
liz wrote:Not much at all near the lab. Your best bet is carrying on up Madingley Road until you hit the junction with Queen's Road and Northampton St. (10 minutes' walk.) About 100 yards to your left on Northampton St is The Punter, which is a VERY nice pub - excellent food, real ales.

Thanks again... I have checked it out on Google maps and it doesn't look too far for me to walk!

Hopefully I will have time to call in there for a quick bite first, provided that:

a) I get up in time
b) My first two train connections do actually connect
c) The coach is on time, and not full!
d) It's not raining! :)
by kdakin » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:17 pm
I have just been allocated a ticket today.
However I have no real idea of the itinerary - despite "Googling" for some time.
In fact I only heard about it by accident a couple of days ago.
by AndrewS » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:14 pm
Montala wrote:Hopefully I will have time to call in there for a quick bite first, provided that:

a) I get up in time
b) My first two train connections do actually connect
c) The coach is on time, and not full!
d) It's not raining! :)

e) nobody on the coach has an electronic cigarette :lol:
by jabela » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:13 pm
kdakin wrote:I have just been allocated a ticket today.
However I have no real idea of the itinerary - despite "Googling" for some time.
In fact I only heard about it by accident a couple of days ago.

Agenda
1.30pm start - 3.30pm discussions, demos and a panel session.
Speaking slots will be 10 minutes a piece with a 30 minute panel session. In short, everybody who has got anything to do with the Raspberry Pi will be there.

3.30pm finish of Raspberry Jam
Then if you're interested in education stay for #TMEast, which will last until 5.30pm Otherwise we will branch off into different groups according to your interests. A list of pubs will be given out on the day. (All pubs have been selected because they are children friendly)

Most of the information is at: http://teachmeet.pbworks.com/w/page/54166404/TMEastCambridge

Alan will be sending out complete details next week.

James
by jabela » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:17 pm
I know a lot of people have already filled out the survey, but it would be great if everybody who is attending the jam could fill it out as soon as possible:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGwtakNIeHJTV2YweXRVcFJQcFcwa3c6MQ#gid=0

There is still some flexibility in topics at the jam and I'd like to know people's interests first before finalising topics, demos and presentations...

Thank you once again to everybody who has been so patient, whilst we organise this event. I hope that it will be the best jam so far and set the benchmark for others...

James
by jabela » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:48 pm
The last few tickets are being issued NOW... Please make sure you check your Emails if you are on the waiting list! Check back tomorrow for details on becoming a volunteer if you didn't manage to get a ticket

James
by jabela » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:19 am
For those of you without tickets, we now have an opportunity for 20 of you to be a volunteer. We can't promise you will have a seat for the event, but you will get a backstage pass, an exclusive T-Shirt and a group photo with everybody from the event. If you would like to volunteer, you will need to be available from 11.30am until 5.30pm. Children are eligible to be volunteers, so long as they come with a responsible adult.

Please fully fill out this form and I will Email you on Thursday with the details:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dEs2ZHpZVkp0andxWjVZOEpqQklnd0E6MQ#gid=0

James
by raspieman » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:13 am
Liz what help do you need. I can be in Cambridge from Wednesday with The Droid et al
by jamesh » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:20 am
raspieman wrote:Liz what help do you need. I can be in Cambridge from Wednesday with The Droid et al

Liz isn't organising this...
Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at Picademy September, October, November 2014.
by jabela » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:38 am
We really need help on the day to setup, direct people and help out backstage. If you can help out, the details are here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/vie ... E6MQ#gid=0

James
by liz » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:34 pm
And speaking of The Punter (see above), we've been thinking about going there afterwards too. Just so you know. :mrgreen:
--
by jabela » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:39 am
All tickets are now sold, but we are still looking for volunteers: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dEs2ZHpZVkp0andxWjVZOEpqQklnd0E6MQ#gid=0
There's a free T-Shirt and backstage pass for those who can help out.

James
by jamesh » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:03 am
liz wrote:And speaking of The Punter (see above), we've been thinking about going there afterwards too. Just so you know. :mrgreen:

Do they sell...................................Beer?
Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at Picademy September, October, November 2014.
by ukscone » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:14 pm
jamesh wrote:
liz wrote:And speaking of The Punter (see above), we've been thinking about going there afterwards too. Just so you know. :mrgreen:

no but they do have a nice line in fancy umbrella drinks & pork scratchings
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by AndrewS » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:29 pm
ukscone wrote:
jamesh wrote:

no but they do have a nice line in fancy umbrella drinks & pork scratchings

.....and http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/996 ? ;)
by jabela » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:30 pm
We're keeping it slightly under wraps, but we're going to be using quite a few of the pubs on Saturday for break out meetings after 3.30pm. I would like to stress that all pubs selected are family friendly and will allow in under 18s.

James