OS X 10.3 on a Pi

3 posts
by shaulkr » Thu May 17, 2012 7:13 am
I saw someone asking whether it could be done, and I just had to do it.

I compiled PearPC (a PowerPC Mac emulator) for the Raspberry Pi and installed Mac OS X 10.3. It took about an hour to boot, and then:

According to PearPC's counters, the Pi runs about 1.2 million emulated instructions per second. For reference, my PC (an E6300) runs 50-60 million instructions per second.

The thing I liked best about it was that it was no different than any Linux PC. apt-get install dependencies, configure, make, make install, on a $35 computer that can run on AA batteries. Amazing!
by Cylon » Thu May 17, 2012 7:41 am
Any instructions for pear pc and getting this going , not seen pear pc before ?....

shaulkr wrote:I saw someone asking whether it could be done, and I just had to do it.

I compiled PearPC (a PowerPC Mac emulator) for the Raspberry Pi and installed Mac OS X 10.3. It took about an hour to boot, and then:

According to PearPC's counters, the Pi runs about 1.2 million emulated instructions per second. For reference, my PC (an E6300) runs 50-60 million instructions per second.

The thing I liked best about it was that it was no different than any Linux PC. apt-get install dependencies, configure, make, make install, on a $35 computer that can run on AA batteries. Amazing!
by shaulkr » Thu May 17, 2012 5:03 pm
Cylon wrote:Any instructions for pear pc and getting this going , not seen pear pc before ?....

PearPC is a relatively old emulator. I had to use it because modern versions of OSX (those that run on x86, and thus on QEMU) require a lot more RAM than the Pi has.

It's extremely slow. It took an hour (as in 60 minutes) to boot, and it's definitely not usable.

If you really want to do it, there are many install guides out there.