The first ever photo taken by a RaspPi?

9 posts
by Helpme1986 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:13 pm
My main reason for getting a Pi was for my photography (as well as learning a new language) and I have just taken my first (and possibly the Pi's first) photo using the Pi, not the best picture (I need to lose ALOT of weight) and havent got the right lens on but it works!

Next task, make a Time Lapse video using the Pi! (VERY EXCITED!)

by Gert van Loo » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:18 pm
Thank you for that. It is just the sort of posts we are looking for: people doing interesting things with their Pi.

Just out of curiosity: What did you use to trigger the camera?
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by Helpme1986 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:28 pm
gphoto2, I know I didnt make it myself however i feel its more the application of it that counts.

For me it was a big step as ive never used Linux before

Plan is to make it fully remote (already running off an external battery, just need wifi/bluetooth now) so I can take it out to interesting places and do time-lapse photos
by poing » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:06 pm
Cool man, you beat me to it. I want to do the same and hope to use my Android phone or Windows netbook to see Live View and photos over WiFi.

I'm now installing Linux on a PC (no Pi yet). Just need to find out how to install gphoto2, seems a bit a mystery for now. Any pointers on how to do that for a Windows user?
by Robert_M » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:58 am
Cool to see some success along this line!
I sometimes ride my Pi to the Forum.
by eastpole » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:08 am
Helpme1986 said:

gphoto2

Ian, nicely done and thanks for sharing.

I've been using linux for a few years but I had never pondered remotely triggering my old Nikon D70 over USB … Now that I know it's possible I'll give it a shot from the desktop and, when mine arrives, from the RPi!

When you say it's running of an external battery, do you mean your DSLR, the RPi, or both? Any tips for extended battery life on either one?

Cheers to you and good luck with the photography!

eastpole  ||  http://www.eastpole.ca
by AndyD » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:07 am
Thanks for sharing Ian. When I get a RPi I will running gphoto2 on it as well.

A.
by Helpme1986 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:58 am
eastpole said:

When you say it"s running of an external battery, do you mean your DSLR, the RPi, or both? Any tips for extended battery life on either one?

The battery pack was for the Pi, as for your camera the best thing you can do is get a battery grip and some top quality batteries (though this could cost quite abit!), saying that your camera should last quite long if the display is off and not using the flash.
by davidmam » Tue May 01, 2012 11:07 pm
This is cool. It's great to know that gphoto runs just fine..

I find that running the D80 on tethered mode with Nicon Capture eats battery, I'd imagine the same for gphoto. A web frontend to gphoto would be a great thing to do. Even better would be an android app that lets you adjust things with gestures.

Remote photo is one of the many RasPi projects on my list.. Should be possible to add remote triggers as well via the GPIO ports.