Streaming Flash Video

3 posts
by blopdak » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:23 pm
Greetings all,

I'm wondering what the performance of the Raspberry Pi is with streaming flash video. I enjoy watching sports from around the world, and they are usually streamed through one of a number of flash based video players.

I am not all that knowledgeable when it comes to how flash video is decoded. I would think that if it is decoded by the GPU it would work well as from what I understand the Raspberry Pi has a fairly powerful graphics processor. I would also think that if it is decoded by the cpu, it may not work very well.

Can anyone with a bit more knowledge or experience shed some light on what type of performance can be expected with streaming flash video?
by mkopack » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:30 pm
You can forget that right now...

Adobe has dropped support for Flash on ARM... Good luck even finding a Flash player...

Flash is on it's way out (slowly but surely) as is MS Silverlight. Both are being deprecated in favor of H.264 via HTML5.
by mahjongg » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:36 pm
My understanding at the moment is that Flash itself probably won't be supported, (far too much of a memory hog) and there in all probability will be no GPU support for flash video. Maybe there will be support for streaming video though HTML5, but even that isn't sure. At the moment the GPU only seems to supports H.264 playback.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator