Using Raspberry Pi connected to a Powerbook PPC

25 posts
by catflap » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:50 pm
I have an old 17'' Apple Powerbook (ppc). Can I connect the Raspberry Pi and use the Powerbook monitor?

Cheers

Mark
by mahjongg » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:04 pm
catflap said:

I have an old 17'' Apple Powerbook (ppc). Can I connect the Raspberry Pi and use the Powerbook monitor?

Generally spoken, NO! The R-PI can only be directly connected to HDMI monitors (or DVI monitors with a converter cable), or you can attach it to an old TV via the Yellow RCA (composite video) plug, or to SCART with a SCART converter plug with the yellow RCA input . But using composite will give you the quality of picture of an old home computer.

In principle you can connect certain types of "raw LCD panels", but nobody has demonstrated that yet, and it will only work with specific LCD panels.

So there is no reasonable way to use your powerbook as a "monitor".

That said, there is talk of using software to copy the content of the R-PI's "screen content" over a network to another device, but that will probably not be a practical solution, as you need a lot of software both on the R-PI and the "receiving device", and the result will probably be quite slow.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by nick.mccloud » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:55 pm
You can connect over the network from the laptop to the Pi and login to the command prompt. This is quite straightforward.

A few commands later and the setup of X on your PowerBook and you should be able to run a GUI desktop that you 'see' on the PowerBook but is doing the processing work on the Pi.
by catflap » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:01 pm
Hi nmcc

"A few commands later and the setup of X on your PowerBook and you should be able to run a GUI desktop that you 'see' on the PowerBook but is doing the processing work on the Pi".

Excuse my ignorance, a little p**sed on brandy tonight, can you give me a step-by-step guide from the network stage. Do you access as a guest or put pi's admin password in. Sorry, if I come across as a bit dim but I probably am.

Kindest Regards

Catflap
by Jim Manley » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:02 am
catflap,

You"ll need to temporarily connect the HDMI video output to a monitor or HDTV or the composite (RCA) video output to a monitor, TV, VCR, DVD player, etc., so that you"ll be able to see what you"re doing on the R-Pi board. Since we don"t have the boards in front of us yet and the software that will be shipping isn"t quite finalized, it"s probably best to wait until then to work on this. We will be putting the instructions on how to do this up on this site or the wiki currently at http://elinux.org/RaspberryPiBoard , which can be reached via the "Wiki" link at the top of this site"s pages.

More to Come, so Stay Tuned …
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!
by nick.mccloud » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:16 am
Jim, no need to use a TV, the the Debian & Fedora builds come with ssh running from the start.

catflap: I'll add it to my Pi to do list! But in essence, you log in to the Pi as admin/you/a user/whatever, tell it to start an X client but with a config that 'exports' it over the network and on the PowerBook you start X but with a config that tells it to talk to the X client on the Pi.
by catflap » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:33 am
Many thanks for your responses, I'm sober now.

I have a monitor on my pc, so will proceed as instructed when it arrives.

So are you saying that once the RPi is tweeked in Linux my mac network will pickup the RPi and I will be able to control the RPi from my Powerbook keyboard and track pad? Which is what I would like to try and do, if it is at all possible.

It's got me very excited about pooters again. My first pooter was a MacPlus, didn't even had a hard disc!

Many thanks

Catflap
by catflap » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:41 am
I,m running osx Leopard 10.5.8 by the way

Regards

Catflap
by Jim Manley » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:33 pm
nmcc (are you actually a compiler, or do you have a human name? :) ),

Is SSH running as root when the system boots? I don"t have my emulator handy, but, need to correct that by putting it on the machines at each of my worksites so I can assuage my jonesin" for some Pi. My waistband is suffering due to all the raspberry pie I"ve been consumin" in lieu of R-Pi I want to be computin", although the local bakery"s face light up every day when I stop by to pick up my substitute (can"t let it get stale!).

BTW, thanks for the continued reinforcement in response to the repeated attempts to confuse newbies by telling them to try to run QEmu directly in Windoze - some people just don"t get that others weren"t born with a CLI running on their hospital vitals monitor. I"m very concerned that the Foundation"s efforts to reach normal human beings are being trashed by the continued browbeating of newbies who wind up here as a result of all of the release hoopla. For every person treated that way, they"ll tell everyone they know what a bunch of rude twits are here, and geometric propagation will cause that message to spread like wildfire. The delays in delivery are bad enough, and they don"t need that kind of additional black eye.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!
by catflap » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:29 pm
Hi
Well, my Pi finally arrived today, I'm quiet excited. Searching through all the various bits from my stored pile of old cables and connectors, which have sat in the attic for years, I've found an old USB mouse and keyboard. As I have no HDMI facility Pi will be plugged into my Sony tele RCA port.

So, what I need now is the idiot proof set of instructions; step by step procedures to allow me to remote access my Pi from my Powerbook G4 osx 10.5.8 (ppc).

Nick McCloud (or anyone else): Hopefully, you can help an old newbe like me stay ahead of my 4 year old.

Many thanks and kindest regards
Catflap
by AndrewS » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:56 am
by catflap » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:17 pm
Hi
You can connect over the network from the laptop to the Pi and login to the command prompt. This is quite straightforward. A few commands later and the setup of X on your PowerBook and you should be able to run a GUI desktop that you 'see' on the PowerBook but is doing the processing work on the Pi.

AndrewS: Thanks for the link but I found that a bit scary. Has anybody else got any more suggestions.

Many thanks
Catflap
by wallacebiy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:49 pm
catflap wrote:Hi
You can connect over the network from the laptop to the Pi and login to the command prompt. This is quite straightforward. A few commands later and the setup of X on your PowerBook and you should be able to run a GUI desktop that you 'see' on the PowerBook but is doing the processing work on the Pi.

AndrewS: Thanks for the link but I found that a bit scary. Has anybody else got any more suggestions.

Many thanks
Catflap

Was it all the shell command stuff that scared you ?

If it was , I'd say you should maybe open up terminal on the mac ( it's in the application/utilities folder ) and fire up a browser alongside of it and go here http://linuxcommand.org/learning_the_shell.php

You will need to learn a little , otherwise you'll very quickly get lost with all the instructions you'll find to do things that are "simple , few lines and you're there "

when after your 50th attempt you realise that all along you've been typing \ instead of / .

The only saving grace is that once you start a little , you'll learn alot ( bash does that really )

best of luck !!
by catflap » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:04 pm
You will need to learn a little , otherwise you'll very quickly get lost with all the instructions you'll find to do things that are "simple , few lines and you're there

Hi
I'm treating this as a learning exercise so I can keep one step ahead of my 4 year old. So thank you for that advice and link, it actually made sense; so maybe there is life in the old dog yet!

Kindest Regards
Catflap
by wallacebiy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:32 pm
catflap wrote:
You will need to learn a little , otherwise you'll very quickly get lost with all the instructions you'll find to do things that are "simple , few lines and you're there

Hi
I'm treating this as a learning exercise so I can keep one step ahead of my 4 year old. So thank you for that advice and link, it actually made sense; so maybe there is life in the old dog yet!

Kindest Regards
Catflap

While I learned Bash and shell scripting a long time ago ,I never really had to use it , I now find myself having to relearn it all .

But I do remember that it made sense after a little while ( even if the lecturer had a thick Dutch accent and I find myself pronouncing commands in my head like Austin Powers ...>)
by catflap » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:35 pm
This is a bit weird!
Just plugged my Pi in, typed pi successfully at login, went to type password and nothing happened. No response from the keyboard. I'm guessing it's the keyboard, which is quite old. But typed ok for login and not password, like I say weird!

Regards
catflap
by AndrewS » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:01 am
Linux doesn't display * characters when typing in the password, if that's what you were expecting?
But it's still 'listening', so if you type in the password correctly and hit Enter/Return you should get to the command-line...
by catflap » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:31 pm
Hi
Thanks for your response but the curser doesn't even move, but out of curiosity I typed in the pass and returned; to no avail. It lets me type 'pi' for login and still the curser does not move for password and replied with 'login incorrect'. This time the print started scrolling around the screen over the top then back up from the bottom, round and round. Like I said, weird!

regards
catflap
by liz » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:38 pm
Are you sure you're spelling "Raspberry" correctly? (Loads of people are making that mistake; I wish we'd realised that it's not necessarily the most easily-spelled fruit!)
--
Head of Comms, Raspberry Pi Foundation
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
by RaTTuS » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:40 pm
catflap wrote:Hi
Thanks for your response but the curser doesn't even move, but out of curiosity I typed in the pass and returned; to no avail. It lets me type 'pi' for login and still the curser does not move for password and replied with 'login incorrect'. This time the print started scrolling around the screen over the top then back up from the bottom, round and round. Like I said, weird!

regards
catflap

this is a repeated keystrokes thingy
it measn your power is not enough to power the Keyboard - does it have usb extender ports on it ?
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html <- ask smart Questions
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
by catflap » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:09 pm
Hi
No I don't have one but I have a powered 7 port on order 5v 1a, so hopefully that will cure the prob and also power the Raspi at the same time.

Regards
Catflap
by wallacebiy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:30 pm
The cursor still won't move .

You get no visual feedback of characters or anything while typing in the password to log in . You have to just type it correctly .
by catflap » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:21 pm
Hi
Keyboard replaced and now working, Pi booted this time. Unfortunately my mouse seems not to work now. Can anybody recommend a cheap one that works with RasPi. Hopefully, then I can get started on the remote problem.
I think I've got a handle on it so I'll keep you all posted.

Regards
Catflap
by AndrewS » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:47 pm
catflap wrote:Unfortunately my mouse seems not to work now. Can anybody recommend a cheap one that works with RasPi.

Again, check out the wiki http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals :)
I think the general opinion is the more 'basic' the mouse, the lower power consumption it'll have, and so the more likely that it'll work fine with the Raspi.
by pa4kw » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:36 pm
hello,

I'm running the raspbian wheezy and just configured it in the cli...without mouse.
static ip adress. more...?? i don't remember...
After boot it connects directly to my wireless network, completely headless.

On my MAC:
Afterwards i go to the X11 terminal (application,..utilities) on the mac (10.5.8) and do following commands:

ssh -X 'user'@'raspi-ip-adress'
enter the 'user'-password
and start the x-session with lxsession&
The pi desktop appears on my mac and i can use the mac mouse and keyboard ...
The raspi and mac are connected via wifi to my home network...

This works also from a linux computer, same commands...

Have a try , its fun to run it on a mac
Hans
Samuel Finley Breese Morse (April 27, 1791 – April 2, 1872) was an American inventor.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1wltc_morse-vs-sms_fun