Screens

3 posts
by crundy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:45 pm
I was flicking around on fleaBay to find a mini monitor that I could use with an R-Pi, and came across some replacement screens for HTC devices, e.g.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OEM-.....2a10a6ef2b

Do you think it would be possible to hook the output of the R-Pi up to a screen like this using some kind of bespoke cable? Might be able to make a cheap Android device :)
by obarthelemy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:48 pm
probably tricky. These screens must be LVD, ie require an expensive, active, cable, if you're starting from regular DVI/HDMI; and I have no clue if they take a VGA, DVI or HDMI signal. I don't think the Pi gives us access to anything but HDMI and composite, even as solder point on the board.
by Cafe » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:24 am
I wonder if re-purposing a screen like this is in the same category as people trying to re-purpose laptop monitors for use independently as display units. In that case, I have come across several discussion threads online, some that have gone on for 5+ years. The conclusion there is pretty much: the display cabling is proprietary and the process is so expensive that it makes almost no sense to explore that path.

Of course, I would love to see someone do it. :)