Pi Dimensions?

15 posts
by fbillowes » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:08 pm
Does anyone know the exact dimensions of the Pi Model B? Because me and my friend are planning on making a case in preparation for it. SO the exact dimensions (length, width height, component placement etc.) would be great

Thanks
by theHetman » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:16 pm
Dimentions are in the FAQ in the general section.  As for the connector placement the best guide is the photo in the FAQ
by mole125 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:17 pm
Did you even try searching the forums and wiki? There have been numerous threads discussing making cases.

Beta dimensions are here

If only I had the power to lock threads... Though I'm sure Abishur or someone will be along soon
by fbillowes » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:28 pm
thanks, although i did search the Forum, and I couldn't actually find anything useful. This is though. thanks
by RogerJoensson » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:52 pm
Problem is, that the measurements are based on a beta version:

"Note that all measurements can change due to a boardredesign or selection of different components."

I have low cost (and hopefully nice looking) box design, with all holes punched, Aluminium bottom and clear plastic top. This I plan to offer for sale in some way (hopefully via a distributor or reseller that handles most of the logistics). It is an all fun project and I don''t plan to make any big profit from it.

I can''t run a first batch, because I do not have updated measurements. Minimum to run a batch is 100-200pcs and I don't think I like to do that, with the risk of having to scrap them directly when I find out that it doesn't the final version of the RPi…

I am still waiting for that reply from RS and/or Farnell, where I can actually order a RPi. Guess I won't get mine for several months.

Maybe I"d better scrap the whole idea on the box and not waste any more energy one it.

The RPi will still be worth waiting for, I'm sure.
by HansH » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:47 pm
The beta board is the same as the production one. The pcb has not changed, so all connectors will be placed on exact the same location.

Only the type of sdcard holder has changed in the production version, so the new one is underneath the pcb and is approx 3.4 – 3.5 mm height.

I am not sure about the USB connector.. if it is the same one as the beta board.
by nick.mccloud » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:17 pm
RogerJoensson said:

This I plan to offer for sale in some way (hopefully via a distributor or reseller that handles most of the logistics).

I really wouldn't sell via a distributor, the Pi community doesn't like that sort of thing and rants for weeks about why it's a bad idea.
by abishur » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:30 pm
nmcc said:

RogerJoensson said:

This I plan to offer for sale in some way (hopefully via a distributor or reseller that handles most of the logistics).

I really wouldn't sell via a distributor, the Pi community doesn't like that sort of thing and rants for weeks about why it's a bad idea.

lol, you cad!
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by RogerJoensson » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:18 pm

nmcc said:

I really wouldn"t sell via a distributor, the Pi community doesn"t like that sort of thing and rants for weeks about why it"s a bad idea.

…O…K… (?)

Now I searched, but found nothing about this. I read the FAQ too and if it is there I can"t find it.

Why would selling a box via a distributor be a bad thing? Isn"t that a good thing? Making a low cost box available for everyone who is looking for one?

You mean that the Pi community doesn"t like a low cost box marketed at all?

Sorry for my ignorance. I am totally lost here and I really want to know if I am stepping on someones toes. -And why.

HansH, Thanks for the information on the PCB.
by rurwin » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:25 pm
Relax. That was a dig at all the argument that has gone on since the RaspPi was released a week ago.

Distributors are a good idea.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Prometheus » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:26 pm
^ Don't worry – I'm pretty sure that nmcc was just making reference to some of the reactions to the Raspberry Pi Foundation going with distributors, Farnell and RS, for production and distribution of the Raspberry Pi. :P

EDIT: Ninja'd by rurwin. :P
by Lynbarn » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:05 pm
HansH said:

The beta board is the same as the production one. The pcb has not changed, so all connectors will be placed on exact the same location.

Are you SURE about that? I thought the beta boards were a little wider than the production design?
by Gert van Loo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:01 pm
Lynbarn said:

Are you SURE about that? I thought the beta boards were a little wider than the production design?

No, the beta board dimensions where accidentally wrong when they were first announced. in that first announcement the size was given as if it was 100% identical toa credit card. That is not the case, it is slightly wider.

Interestingly I posted a comment this afternoon here:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....r-rpi-case

which was not picked up by anybody....

I'll repeat it here:

I had a production board in my hands today for a short while.

1/ The SD-card holder does NOT stick out, it sits completely under the board.

2/ The GPIO connector was in place too: male, top. I have asked and this is not guaranteed for all 10.000 but is likely to be present on the first 2000. So that might set the standard**.

3/ I could see no obvious differences with the beta boards prototype series.

**For all of you who wanted female connectors: female connectors are more expensive then males and I personally prefer ANY connector then none.
It would be great if the Foundation+RS+Farnell could agree on keeping it in the BOM, even at a slightly higher cost so nobody needs to take out a soldering iron.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by rurwin » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:51 pm
@Gert

A) Yippeeee!!!!

B) Agreed.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by abishur » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:56 pm
okay I re-read this thread title and started laughing.  A dimension made of Pi!  Or being an object in 3.14... dimensions!  Ah... I crack myself up.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator