Raspberry Pi pricing in India

4 posts
by gauravarora » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:41 am
I live in India and I ordered a raspberry pi today morning from Element14. The support folks called me a couple of hours later and said that the order I had placed wasn't available (it was a keyboard/mouse with the Pi) so I asked them to send over just the Pi and nothing else.

They said that it would cost Rs.2350 which comes out to $46.6 (http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert/.....038;To=USD). I told them that the Raspberry Pi cost $35 and it said so on this website but they said that if I wanted it for $35 then I should order it from this website. Because they were the distributors they had to add extra charges. I argued for a few minutes but quickly realised that if I didn't pay up I wouldn't have my Pi. :( So I paid them what they wanted.

My question is, is the foundation aware of this price hike from distributors? I'd rather donate the $11 I'm paying extra to the foundation. It's not an amount anyone is going to fuss over but I'd like to see it go to the foundation than a distributor. If the foundation is aware of this it might be worth mentioning somewhere on the front page so people like me don't ask this question again.

P.S. I'm not the only one with this complaint - http://www.element14.com/commu.....g-in-india
by AlArenal » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:17 pm
$35 is kind of a tax-less base price in USD. This has to be converted in local currency, VAT has to be added, shipping often does not come for free, etc. There may even be some kind of punitive duty attached (blame India in that case ;) ).

Is $46,6 the end price for which they are shipping it to you? Then it ain't a bad deal at all. If it's the local base price and still does not include VAT and shipping, well then you have an "interesting" situation.

On the other hand – they're produced in China, shipped to wherever and distributed locally. Maybe to get it to India they had to get it from even another country because it didn't make sense to directly ship a small amount of Pis from China to India.
by gauravarora » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:49 pm
Ahh, I did not think there would be duty for the Pi because technically speaking it isn't a finished product.

The $46.6 is just the base price with without local taxes. The final price for my order is Rs. 2652 which works out to $52.6. It's a steal even at this price. I can't wait to get my hands on it. Just a little disappointed because I was really hoping to buy some good accessories also and I'll now have to settle for the standard stuff.
by liz » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:50 pm
$35 is the price without tax or shipping (see the FAQ). Schools, which don't pay VAT and which are buying in bulk (so saving massively on shipping) will see a price much closer to $35 than private consumers will. I don't know what the tax situation is in India, but I would imagine that as well as paying sales tax you are having to pay some import duty - something to take up with your government rather than Farnell!
--
Head of Comms, Raspberry Pi Foundation
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator