Reducing power consumption

12 posts
by tim124 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:42 am
I'm looking to use a R-Pi board to do some logging and data analysis in a remote location, powered by battery. I've seen different quoted power requirements for the two versions (A Vs B). Is this simply the peak power being quoted? And will the B boards use the same power with the Ethernet disbaled? If you're not using the Ethernet, could you get away with a 300ma supply?

I don't know a huge amount about embedded linux, but are there other ways that I'll be able to reduce power consumption like disabling the graphics processor?
by drgeoff » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:21 am
The power consumption will depend on what the board is doing.  There will also be some variations between boards because of chip tolerances.  The B model has an extra chip which converts one USB output to two USBs plus ethernet so even with the ethernet disabled the B board will consume more power.  Sorry, can't  give you any precise figures.
by mobeyduck » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:32 pm
The worst case power consumption for model B would be 700mah

The worst case power consumption for model A would be 500mah

But this was from one of the early posts so it might be less. Its a good starting point.

You can underclock and undervolt the chip that will make it use a bit less power.

See http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....config-txt

Disabling the video will cut a little bit, it will all be micromanagement.
by teh_orph » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:57 pm
ARM and other vendors often make a point of talking about how much power it costs to access main memory. So, if your application suits it,

- buy the smaller memory model ('A') as less memory will need to be refreshed
- run as few background processes as possible - ideally just your program!
- keep your application's data set (and code size) as tiny as possible
- enable the L2 cache for CPU access
- disable the display
by tim124 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:01 pm
Thanks. This is a good start! I imagine as more people get their hands on hardware and starting hacking, more information will come out.

Will kernel drivers mean I can change some of these settings while the system is running? It would also be great if I could enable and disable the power to individual USB ports at runtime.
by ledow » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:51 pm
5v, 700mA in the worst case?

You could run it for about 2 hours, then, from one of these:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/rechar.....es-27088 

Hell, say the max power is vastly overestimated and you could get 20 hours.  Still not very much for a device that's in a remote location without basically sticking it on a car battery.

The battery my company just paid £70 for to run a 1500W server UPS could probably manage only a week once you took voltage conversion and uneven power usage into account.

I don't think it would really be very suitable for that job (unless you have a huge solar panel to keep that thing charged all the time), but obviously more accurate usage numbers would be available once they start shipping.
by RaTTuS » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:03 pm
http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....olar-power < for some helpful solar power info
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html <- ask smart Questions
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
by tim124 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:06 pm
This will most likely run off of a sealed lead-acid battery with solar charging.

I would be using the Raspberry Pi boards to lower the costs really. I could design a low power ARM board (Cortex M3) but I'd be paying about £6-8 for the IC's in single volumes and about another £100+ for a populated board.

Raspberry Pi A's are going to be about £16 and I can connected a small USB sampling board which can also be tested with Windows PC's and software.

This should reduce the dev time and cost substantially.
by mobeyduck » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:50 pm
Looking at those batterys from maplin that were linked I cant stop thinking that a lipo would be better

http://www.seeedstudio.com/dep.....th=178_183 6ah

add a rider and a 3w solar panel, note this panel probably wont be enough to power it all the time. (all same site) will cost $58 against the $63.42 for only a 7ah 12v
by jamesh » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:26 pm
The GPU automatically shuts down areas that are not being used - so you don't need to worry about that. All told it uses less than 10mw playing something like an MP3. Its the Arm that will use most of the power.
Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at Picademy September and October 2014.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by tim124 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:38 pm
I've thought of some more power related questions.

Will it support wake-on LAN, wake-on USB or wake on any of the GPIO pin interrupts?

Does the hardware support any ACPI sleep modes?
by jamesh » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:55 pm
You need to search the forum - these Q's have already be asked and answered.
Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at Picademy September and October 2014.