Netflix Ready?

30 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by luvme503 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:27 pm
I have 5 kids and limited funding.  We don't have cable, but we do have high speed internet and a Netflix membership.  I would love to be able to give the kids access to Netflix through their 'old school TV's' in their bedrooms without spending a fortune.  I know nothing about programming... does the Raspberry Pi come Netflix ready?  Would I need to buy software?  Cords and cables?  I can't afford to spend hundreds of dollars for a device when all I want it to do is stream Netflix.  The possibility of spending ~$100 on three Raspberry Pi's is tantalizing.
by n3tw0rk5 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:43 pm
Here is the link for the wiki for the basic setup and what you will need http://elinux.org/RPi_Hardware.....asic_Setup

If you have something like lxde for the desktop enviroment and a browser that supports whatever plugins are needed then I cant see why not.

I'm not sure if netflix will allow a single account to be logged in more than once at the same time though.
by Prometheus » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:11 pm
Unfortunately, I don't think that this will work, because Netflix does not support Linux, and it seems that all of the current workarounds require you to be using x86-based systems (whereas the Raspberry Pi uses an ARM CPU).
by n3tw0rk5 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:22 pm
Prometheus said:

Unfortunately, I don't think that this will work, because Netflix does not support Linux, and it seems that all of the current workarounds require you to be using x86-based systems (whereas the Raspberry Pi uses an ARM CPU).

Thats pants, signed that petition.
by Mandolins » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:25 pm
Unless someone ports Android to the Raspberry Pi, then I don't think there's a way to play Netflix.
by Montekuri » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:32 pm
My country has a similar service called NetMovies that works on linux:

http://www.netmovies.com.br/co.....-live.html
by abishur » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:55 pm
Mandolins said:

Unless someone ports Android to the Raspberry Pi, then I don't think there's a way to play Netflix.

I know some people have expressed an interest in doing just that I don't think the r-pi would work with the latest version on Android (not enough memory) but if all you're looking for is some multimedia enhancements (like Netflix) than one of the older versions should provide this exact solution.  I'd certainly be interested in at least testing out an Android-Pi build ;-)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Mandolins » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:42 pm
Abishur said:
  I'd certainly be interested in at least testing out an Android-Pi build ;-)

I would too, and it is possible from what I remember, if the RPi was running Android 1.5. Hopefully I'm wrong and the Pi can run 2.2, that would be a amazing!

I just hope it can be used with a mouse and keyboard, I know the Asus Transformer (which runs 3.X) can use a mouse/keyboard. It not, google tv would be a nice alternitve too!
by kevco » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:57 am
Not to discourage you from getting a Raspberry Pi (or three) but if your primary goal is netflix then you'd probably be better off getting the low end Roku.  It's only $49 and plays netflix as well as a lot of other streaming media sources.  I've read that it uses the same SoC as the RPi.

http://www.roku.com/roku-products#3
by Gert van Loo » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:41 am
You will not be able to replace a Nextflix (or Roku) box with a Raspberry-Pi. All those devices are heavily protected. I have no idea what is in them but I do know that there is a good amount of security involved.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by SeanD » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:07 pm
Gert said:

You will not be able to replace a Nextflix (or Roku) box with a Raspberry-Pi. All those devices are heavily protected. I have no idea what is in them but I do know that there is a good amount of security involved.

If you were at the APM last year you will have seen along side a horrific video of myself Netflix as one of the TrustZone launch partners in the keynote on TZ.  To get the content they have they have to take DRM very seriously.
by S0litaire » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:23 pm
Note the following is for information only and in a gray area when it comes to by-passing region controlled DRM 

But seeing as you are actually paying for the service .... ^_~

Closest thing to "NetFlix" that I know works under Linux requires getting a US "Amazon Prime" Account and get access to their "Amazon instant Streaming" service

You need a small browser based workaround to change your originating non-us IP address (using "Modify Headers" Firefox plugin and "x-forwarded-for" header change for the techies) to a US one.

Also not sure if they use flash or HTML5 to display the movies (need a while since i used it!)

Amazon prime costs $79 (£50) per year and you have free movies/TV plus loads more pay-per-view.

It's not got as wide a range as Netflix but it's the best i know of at the moment.

I had  a US Prime account last year and i loved the streaming free movies ^_^

Take the 1 month trial for amazon prime ( you might need to buy something from the US site.) and see how you like it
--
Laters

Bill "Solitaire" C

Anáil nathrach, ortha bhas betha, do cheol déanta
by abishur » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:32 pm
Playon is also a possibility along the same vine as Amazon Prime.  I haven't used it in years, but it was great when I did use it, and it was only a one time fee thing back then (not sure if that's changed or not)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by nullstring » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:27 pm
Gert said:

That said, I think we can both agree that the RPI should be 100% capable of playing netflix given the software were available. (Never going to happen) That, in itself, I think is quite neat.
by ReCreate » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:29 pm
Geez, That sucks! I would've expected netflix to utilize flash. :I Like just about everything on the internet does.

Anyways, maybe it could be possible to get the android netflix app on the RPI.. By somehow getting the java-based virtual machine from android, for armnel working on the RPI? Android is linux based, and open source! I'm not really a good programmer, but I'm sure it must be feasible to get it working, so that we could have existing android apps running on the RPI.

Either that, Or if something like BlueStacks could be ported to linux.. and arm.
by Prometheus » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:52 pm
ReCat said:

Geez, That sucks! I would"ve expected netflix to utilize flash. :I Like just about everything on the internet does.

Even if it did, it would still be something of a problem - Adobe has dropped support for Flash on ARM, anyway. :P

Anyways, maybe it could be possible to get the android netflix app on the RPI.. By somehow getting the java-based virtual machine from android, for armnel working on the RPI? Android is linux based, and open source! I"m not really a good programmer, but I"m sure it must be feasible to get it working, so that we could have existing android apps running on the RPI.

It's probably not so easy right this minute, as the Android kernel is still a hacky derivative. My understanding is that it's being merged back into the vanilla Linux kernel at the current time (3.3 should support everything but Android's power-management, which is expected to be in there for 3.4), which would probably help that situation, for those with the ability (unfortunately, not me! :P ).
by daneast » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:58 pm
Besides Android devices, another ARM-based platform with official Netflix support is the Nintendo DSi / 3DS.  The DSi runs at only 133 Mhz (but of course it doesn't have to output to a full HD display either).  Considering that DSi emulators already exist that run on Windows boxes, it should theoretically be possible to get the Netflix DSi binary to run on a Raspberry Pi since all the security, APIs, etc, are already known and can be worked around.

My hunch is that it would be easier to finangle the DSi version to run on a Raspberry Pi than an Android version, because Android is a much more complex and higher-level OS than the DSi, especially given the Java layer, complex GUI, etc.
by ReCreate » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:12 pm
It's CPU may only run at 133Mhz, but it probably has a GPU to decode the video too. That way, You hardly need any CPU power, GPU does everything for you. (not actually, but w/e) aand, thus, if it were emulated on the RPI, without utilizing the RPI's GPU for decoding, it's very likely to either put fairly high strain on it's CPU (decoding via software) or not be usable at all.
by daneast » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:14 pm
To correct my previous post, Netflix is only available for the Nintendo 3DS, and not the DSi.  It is likely the 3DS has hardware supporting Netflix's DRM, or as ReCat suggested, possibly does all the decoding at the hardware level.

The DSi came out a while before the 3DS, so if it did have Netflix support, it would certainly not be at the hardware level.  However, the 3DS is very new hardware, so it is likely designed to support services like Netflix from the ground up.  So that would not be a viable route for getting Netflix on a Raspberry Pi.

(Out of pure coincidence, I happened to get a very good deal on a DSi today at a surplus sale, and after purchasing it, found Netflix is not available as it is on my son's 3DS. That happened after my previous post in this thread.)
by Maria » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:17 am
hi both Netflix and Lovefilm run on Microsoft Silverlight so won't run on any Linux due to Silverlights DRM, and MoonLight doesn't have the DRM from silverlight as Linux is open source .

has anyone on here got virgin media player to run on Linux
by xkyle » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:46 am
Prometheus said:

It's probably not so easy right this minute, as the Android kernel is still a hacky derivative.

True. I think the best (and probably simplest) direction for Netflix readiness on the Raspi is Chrome OS. Why? Because Hexxeh has an accessible nightly build that could make things simple. If vanilla doesn't work, lime may. I'm just really curious about how they work with ARM.

This may be the discussion to watch.
by viola_palimo » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:53 am
...or one could simply wait for one of (likely many) XBMC cook ups brewing out there and then just run the Netflix-plugin from inside of XBMC.. Pretty sure that one is ARM-ported already..
by tufty » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:46 pm
xkyle said:

True. I think the best (and probably simplest) direction for Netflix readiness on the Raspi is Chrome OS.

Is it crap.  The best and simplest direction for netflix is to utterly bypass the Pi and go with something designed as a media centre, for example the Roku 2.  It has the same processor as the Pi, comes with a box, wifi, bluetooth, a remote, a PSU, and it can be had from $49.  Hell, you even get AV cables.

When you consider you're going to be paying around $45 from Farnell for the barebones Pi itself, without accounting for a PSU, case, remote, or any sort of wireless networking, the calculation is relatively easy to make.  And the Roku is liable to come with significantly more GPU-accelerated codecs.

Simon
by codemonkey4hire » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:54 am
I use Zorin OS distros of Ubuntu and I plug this at terminal.
sudo apt-get install libhal1 hal
This allows me to use Amazon.com's Instant Video which I prefer over NetFlix.
I didn't have a chance to check my Pi running Amazon.com's Instant Video Player.

I will post tomorrow July 16, 2012 if it works.
by robwriter » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:38 pm
The DRM thing is a pain for other providers too (specifically Sky and Lovefilm in the UK) - I tried an XP virtual machine on my (x86) Ubuntu machine with a reasonably fast dual core CPU and 2GB ram and playback was not acceptable.

Ended up using my Xbox, but in general I'll always try and take my custom to people who support Linux.