Debian squeeze

Drop in for a chat and a cup of tea

4 posts
by cormacity » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:32 am
Is there anyone who can help me ? Can u upload a tutorial how to copy debian squeeze to sd card cos im kind of new in these things and dont know how ?
by Joe Schmoe » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:17 am
dd bs=1024K if=debian.img of=/dev/sdaX

where X is the right number for your SD card reader/writer.

But the thing is - there's not a lot of point to doing this, other than as an academic exercise, since you only need to write it to SD card if you are going to use it on an actual RPi board, which no one has one of yet.

To boot the system using QEMU (which is what most of us are doing at this point), you don't need an SD card; you just need the file.
Never answer the question you are asked. Rather, answer the question you wish you had been asked.

- Robert S. McNamara - quoted in "Fog of War" -
by Myra » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:03 am
Hello, first, Joe Schmoe is right, there is no point downloading any SD images now. You should wait until you get your RasPi. A good reason to wait is that things are slowly getting fixed/made better. Right now one of the problems that we have is that the X Windowing graphics are done in software, so they are pretty slow. We have people working on offloading that to the graphics processor, so it will be much faster. I would recommend waiting to download an image until either (a) you get a RasPi, or (b) we get the X problem fixed.

Second, there are a load of instructions for downloading SD images at:

http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_Card_Setup

If you're using Windows, I suggest reading this:

http://russelldavis.org/2012/0.....n-windows/

Or, alternatively, just wait until you can buy preloaded SD cards from the Raspberry Pi shop, or RS or element14. I (I'm the education coordinator) will do my best to make sure they are available by the time the boards actually ship.
by grumpyoldgit » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:09 am
Joe Schmoe said:

dd bs=1024K if=debian.img of=/dev/sdaX

where X is the right number for your SD card reader/writer.

But the thing is - there's not a lot of point to doing this, other than as an academic exercise, since you only need to write it to SD card if you are going to use it on an actual RPi board, which no one has one of yet.

To boot the system using QEMU (which is what most of us are doing at this point), you don't need an SD card; you just need the file.

In any case sda is likely to be your main hard drive. The card reader on my pc is sdc.